Monday, August 11, 2008

Double Plus Good

Eerie to see this promo of Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes together. I think it was for some kind of movie that they were working on together for next year. Bernie was probably the funniest part of the Original Kings Of Comedy film, which I saw in the theaters back when it came out, and remember the audience just howling during his set. You're a good fella, Mac Daddy. I gotta lotta love for you.



When Joe and I were first dating during the late fall of 1987, we bought a picture sleeve 45 single of Isaac Hayes' "Ike's Rap". One of many that he did, but this one in particular was hands down the funniest anti-drug slow jam that we had ever heard. "Uncle Ike" tut-tuts his strung out lover for hocking everything in the house to feed the monkey on her back ("Baby I can't even watch the Beverly Hills Cop -- the VCR is gone!") and for awhile I even had the two of us on tape listening to the song for the first time and roaring with laughter in my dorm room at college, so loud and so hard that our friend passing by my open window could hear us three stories down.

Somehow I always thought our Uncle Ike would out-live us both.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>("Baby I can't even watch the Beverly Hills Cop -- the VCR is gone!") <<

For some reason that reminds me of Rappin Rodney. I have no clue why.

Do you have that song as an mp3?

6:50 PM  
Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

Isaac played the infamous Duke Of New York in one of my favorite movies of all time "Escape From New York". What a great bad ass mofo and as Donald Pleasence said...he was indeed "A NUMBER ONE!"

8:12 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I loves me some Duke 'o New Yawk!

I wish I did have an MP3 of that version of "Ike's Rap". I have one version but it's a completely different song (he did several "Ike's Rap" tracks, each unique) but I'm going to try and make one and post it. It's pretty priceless.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home