Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Another Old Man In A Young Girl's World


It was shortly after seeing Ghost Town this afternoon at the local mall theaters when I was strolling the aisles of the mall FYE, while Joe searched for a copy of The Naked Spur to buy for my father's birthday tonight, that I just happened to look down and notice Diane Lane's fifteen-year-old sullen face hovering spectre-like over Ladies And Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains -- finally out on DVD as of the 16th of this month. And I didn't even see it come through my store! Ironically I spend a good portion of late last year and early this year trying to acquire a super rare P2P copy from BitTorrent from a nice young man who wanted to see my breasts asked for nothing in return and even compressed it onto a data disk for me. To which then I had another friend transfer that onto a DVD-R so that I could watch it on the DVD player. Months later, I finally had that elusive copy of a movie that had never seen its day on DVD (and hardly even on video, let alone in theaters) and now it's out on its original 1982 transfer including a rather dry commentary from director Lou Adler, and a much more interesting commentary by its two female stars Diane Lane and Laura Dern -- a sometimes funny and fascinating conversation between two middle-aged actresses looking back on themselves as naive little girls wedged into a film with real, raging, drinking, partying rock stars. I loved the detail in their recollections, from how one Sex Pistols' jacket smelled like an ashtray, to the way actress Christine Lahti held her cigarette like a microphone while singing off-key to "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". A must see. A must own. And thank you everyone for helping me out there in the first place.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My own Holy Grail for this movie was the Diane Lane version of "Join the Professionals."

Sorry I haven't written back, but I will soon. The interest never wanes, and yours remains ladies and gentlemen the most fabulous mind. I love reading what you write.

Bear with me...

M

2:02 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

It's all good. And as always, you know where I am.

And thank you.

2:28 PM  
Blogger So Very Unhip said...

Eeee, this is out! I'll have to get it when I get moneys.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home