Thursday, June 25, 2009

Look Who's Got A Farrah-Do!

When I was a kid, the teenage boy that lived next door to me had this poster in his bedroom, right as you were walking up the stairs to your left. I suppose at the time I never quite understood what the mass appeal of this poster meant for millions of men out there, though I knew it had some significance. Blond hair, icy blue eyes like a Siberian husky, and a rictus grin that actually kind of unnerved me. Took me half a lifetime to realize that you can see her nipples through her bathing suit, undetected in the dim light and long shadows along that staircase all those years ago.

But her impact on pop culture at the time couldn't be denied. I watched Charlie's Angels, and I even went as Jill Munroe for Halloween back in first grade. But the jiggle-fest aspect was lost on me, being too young to understand. All I saw was a whole lotta ass-whuppin'... or at least what I perceived as ass-whuppin' at that tender age. I even had the set of dolls, which I used to take with me to the beach and build sand castle dream houses for them. Jeez, I wonder how much they'd go for these days. I wonder if I actually lost them at sea.

But could Farrah do more than just fill out a bathing suit? She was also fabulously nuanced in The Apostle, one of my favorite films of all time. With all the drama and weirdness that took place in her life behind the scenes, it was nice to be reminded that she was always capable of more than just titillation.

RIP Ms. Fawcett

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home