Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Sick Daze

I don't think I've ever slept as much as I did yesterday since, well, probably since the last time I was under the weather which now that I think about it almost two months ago. Strange, since I rarely ever get sick with the same condition so close together like this and I haven't even been exposed to anyone with a cold as far as I can tell. I guess this is only my little semi-traditional holiday germfest manifesting itself a week earlier than usual. When I was a child I always got sick on Christmas Eve, although it was mostly of the 24-hour virus variety. I can still remember many a Christmas morning sitting on the bathroom floor opening presents so that I could be near the toilet whenever I had to throw up. I have no idea why this happened almost every single year, and to this day my parents still worry over it happening again and always take precautions like stocking the medicine cabinet with Pepto-Bismol. I just know my mother is going to have kittens when I inform her I'm sick again this year. But this time it's only a cold. I can hack a cold any day. And it also means I get to be legally high as a kite on Christmas day and that always has the potential for holiday hilarity.

By the way if anything I just said didn't make a whole lotta sense it's because I am currently high as a kite on last night's residual Nyquil dosage and my head's a tad scrambled at the moment. I probably should have started doing this later in the day uuh ohwell bluuuhhh..

Last night I did manage to slap together my new Christmas mix disk. A little more jazz and swing this time around, one blues track, and nice ethereal goth number, some novelty bits, and a touch of Celtic-lite. My only regret was not getting a rap track on there this time around but Christmas raps that haven't already made it on past disks are getting scarcer by the season. But anyway a pretty decent mixture of sentiments all the way around and that is generally what I am always aiming for:

"The Junky's Christmas" - William S. Burroughs
"Fuck Christmas" - Fear
"The Greatest Christmas Song Of All" - Vance DeGeneres
"The Little Drummer Boy" - Brave Combo
"Mery Christmas, Baby" - Kenny Burrell
"Five Pound Box Of Money" - Pearl Bailey
"Mr. Heatmiser" - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
"Welcome Christmas" - Love Spirals Downward
"Santa Dog" - Poxy Boggards
"Feast Of Lights" - They Might Be Giants
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - Loreena McKennitt
"I Hate Christmas" - Oscar The Grouch
"Santa Ain't Coming For Christmas" - Rocket 455
"Blue Christmas" - Seymour Swine & the Squealers
"Little Drummer Boy" - Hoodoo Gurus
"Christmas Sucks" - Tom Waits & Peter Murphy
"Eiri na Greine-The Rising Of The Sun" - AnĂșna
"Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday" - William Bell
"The Rebel Jesus" - The Chieftains w/Jackson Browne
"Please Come Home For Christmas" - Charles Brown
"Little Saint Nick" - Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem
"New Years Resolution" - Otis Redding & Carla Thomas


Thanks again to Randy and mah posse down at the music forum for pitching in and helping me compile this years' comp. And you're right, Randy. That Love Spirals Downward is pretty durn special.

Wow, I'm sorry I'm so out of it, guys. Here's to hoping my next post is a lot less gripey and boring. I'm going back to bed for a bit before I have to forcibly drive myself to work this afternoon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Randy Wylde said...

I like the sequence very much! Now if that Vance DeGeneres song were to suddenly appear, oh, you know where, I'd be mighty happy...

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was here and bookmarked your Blog!

Your www buddy.

dd

9:15 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey Randy... I'm still trying to get that Vance song to ya -- it's not showing up under its proper folder in my harddrive. I'm going to try and sit down and tinker with it a bit and see what I can do.

Hey dd... what's your url?

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

melissa,

I got no blog, yet, thinking of making one.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Randy Wylde said...

Oh, I finally got the Vance song from, uh, Vance's website. Duh. If anyone else is eager for it, it can be found here.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home