Sunday, December 11, 2005

Against The 70's

My earliest memories of Richard Pryor were as a child in the 70's pressing my ear against the bottom crack of my bedroom door trying desperately to listen in while my father and my uncles played Richard's albums in the living room, laughing riotously while I practically clawed at the door mewling to be let out and hear what the hell was so gosh durn funny. A little later in life, in my early teens, I finally got to know, and I could never go back after that. Richard Pryor was such a powerful and influential presence from around age 10-15 when my best friend Sheryl and I would sneak off and listen to his records, or watch movies like Stir Crazy or stand up routines like Live On The Sunset Strip, which I had practically memorized by heart at one point as a little girl. Even today I see so much of Pryor's topical and sociological humor in old stand-ups by Eddie Murphy and current programs like The Dave Chapelle Show, and as much as I love both of these comedians I admit can't help but love them because I feel so much of Pryor's influence in them that takes me back to that innocently politically incorrect era in my life. A nostalgia trip for me, perhaps very much in the way that Eddie Murphy in the 80's and Dave Chapelle in the double-oughts will be for others younger than myself. And man, that particular demo's just growing more enormous every damn year for me. I'm getting so blessedly old.

And speaking of nostalgia, Joe and I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe yesterday. Now I have been a huge fan of the novel series since I was a kid so I know this particular story almost verbatim. And yes, they filmed the movie almost entirely verbatim to the book. And I hate to say it, but I think that this may have had something to do with the lackluster quality of the picture itself. In trying to keep things almost absurdly faithful to the book (with a few changes here and there) there was an overall significant skimping of character development and atmosphere as well. In a way it's the same issue I had with the first Harry Potter movie (I have only read the first book so that is all I can compare to). Well, that and it was directed by {{shudder}} Chris Columbus. I was never one to mind too much about taking a few liberties here and there with novel-to-movie translations, so long as the changes help capture the spirit of the story. But in keeping things so perfectly pure, Narnia fell flat for me. It's kind of the same reason why I'm not a big fan of rotoscope animation. Just tracing over someone else's work isn't bringing new life, but just exacerbating the mundane aspects instead of enhancing its attributes. Georgie Henley did a good job as Lucy, and her interactions with Mr. Tumnus were quite wonderful. I always love Tilda Swinton and Jim Broadbent is one of my all-time favorite actors, but even they can't be expected to carry the movie entirely on their sturdy thespian humps. I think the movie is ... okay. Wretchedly lame CGI, and some lifeless acting from the other three kids. But in all I think it was alright. A nice matinee for the whole family. I would more recommend reading the books to your little ones at some point instead.

Ironically watching the DVD to Roll Bounce when I got home gave me a stronger sense of childhood nostalgia than Narnia ever did at any given moment. Memories of mirror balls, rollerstaking rinks and "Hollywood Swinging" take me back to being 9 years old again faster than any Christian allegory children's book.

In all, I got to spend a lovely day off with my boyfriend, even if it was spent mostly milling about some godawful three-story capitalist monstrosity known as MacArthur Mall (I'm certain General Douglas MacArthur would be pleased to know his revered name lives on in the hearts and minds of the good people of Norfolk when they think of going somewhere to buy Starbuck's Frappuccinos and Rascal Flatts CDs). And my dear Jose Vlad (er, I mean Ap) did get me a wonderful Christmas present, something that I have been wanting to get myself for quite a little while:


Blankets by Craig Thompson, a graphic novel recounting the early years of Mr. Thompson's life through kinetic sketches, commentary, and spare dialogue. I've read so much about this but I've just never gotten around to picking it up. Many thanks to my beloved Ap for the sentiment, and for my precious Vlad who forked over the dough when he really didn't have to.

And while I'm on this thanking jag, I wanna give a shout out to all my palies (especially Randy) over at my music forum for setting up our Christmas mix gmail submissions this year, which Randy said was inspired by one of my earlier posts, all of which will help tremendously in compiling this year's holiday mix disk. Randy my man, I'm still having a problem sending my song but it has nothing to do with the account itself -- I just can't seem to find the file in my harddrive even though I know it's there. But I plan on futzing with it further tonight when I get home from woik so hopefully my submission will be next up and fit in with the whole organic flow o' things. You know me and 'puters. Still trying to bang those square pegs into circular holes again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo, Mel!!!

RIP RP.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Ah-thank-ya, Mags!

Not that I didn't see it comin' soon. But man, it's still sad.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Randy Wylde said...

Glad to help!

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home