Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Nouveau Third World Hike Boots

More love in the mail yesterday afternoon! Well, er, all stuff I ordered awhile ago for myself so count it all off as a gesture of, er, "self-love" (errrr): The Cold's Limbo's Getting Crowded, a shiny new platter of unreleased songs and alternate versions from Vance's old band during their 1979-1982/1984-85 existence. Track listing goes as follows...

Studio tracks:

Memories
You Don't Look At Me
I'm Serious (*an all acoustic version!)
Hot Ride
Marky (*with vocals intact)
Play With Fire (instrumental) (*the band worked through a version of this Rolling Stones song one day when Barbara couldn't make it to rehearsal and somebody in the room pressed "record" on a battery-powered tape recorder, accounting for the ancient, murky sound. The band switched instruments, so Vance is the one playing the trippy psychedelic guitar solo.)
Come On Over
Parnell Pitcher (*finally!)
Cleveland
No Place I Can Go
Missing Hit Man
Rockman
Talk To Me
In On The Outside
^Modern Beat
^Working Girl

(^ produced by Agent Orange/Berlin producer Dan Van Patten)

Live tracks:

Agnes English (*cover of John Fred single)
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You) (*made famous by Elvis Presley and Hamburg-era Beatles)
Limbo's Getting Crowded
+I'm On E (*cover of Blondie track)
+My Way (*cover of Paul Anka track)
+I'm Down (*Beatles b-side w/"Help")

(+ live medley)

A good portion of these tracks I have already owned for several years thanks to a friend who has been sitting on old 4-track demo versions of "You Don't Look At Me", "Marky", "Hot Ride", "Parnell Pitcher", "No Place I Can Go" and "In On The Outside" since back in the day when his own band shared studio space with The Cold in the 80's. It's also cool to see who wrote what, how Vance wrote "You Don't Look At me" and "Marky" (one of my favorites), and that Vance and Barbara both collaborated on "No Place I Can Go" and "Rockman", which I have never heard of before until now.

In all a very good comp chock fulla nuggets that have long deserved official release. I am a tad disappointed that some of the other Vance-centric tunes were left off, like "The Warning", "She Was Born To Drive Me Crazy", and his signature cover of The Easybeat's "Friday On My Mind" which really brought the house down over my head at the Howlin' Wolf back at the 2001 reunion in New Orleans. Would have also loved to have seen "Two Boys" make the cut, and maybe even hear a version of that Bert song that I don't know the name of but I always call "Scared of You".

But who knows. Maybe Limbo might start stackin' up again.

Limbo's Getting Crowded can be ordered through Top Pop Records via paypal (toppoprecords@yahoo.com) or write to them directly with $14.00 (already includes U.S. shipping and handling) to Top Pop Reocrds P.O. Box 19272 New Orleans, LA 70179-0272.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home