Sunday, November 27, 2005

Hey! Rise Of The Robots

You old timers remember BMG Music Club? Get all these CDs for a penny and whatnot?

Meet the BMG Music Club... of the fuuuuuuturrrre! {{insert spooky theremin noises here}}}

I saw an article on it in a recent ish of Ice magazine. Basically it's all owned by BMG so yeah, the music selection is very "catalogue" so it's not exactly the place to go to track down that one missing Les Rallizes Denudes CD for your collection or anything. But they still appear to be building stock. And here's the deal: All CD's are $5.99. That's it. No shipping or handling, and apparently no sales tax either. If you buy a double CD, or even a box set, it's $5.99 for each disk. So if you get the Miles Davis 7-disc box that's currently retailed at Amazon for $117, it will only be $42 at YourMusic.com.

To join, you are obligated to buy one $5.99 CD a month. That's it. You can cancel at any time. Tracy told me that she is already setting up 12 CDs in a queue so that they will automatically send her one CD a month in the order that she has them listed. Like they do at Netflix, I guess. She's a big collector of Blue Note jazz titles and this will help her fill in the blanks in her collection cheaply and without bargain hunting or heck, even thinking about it. $5.99 is even cheaper than most of the used CDs we sell at our store these days (Chris you can back me up on this, dude -- things haven't changed a lick since you skipped town).

I'm still thinking about it. I can really beef up my jazz collection as well. Get mainstream new releases, and maybe even replace some of the lost/stolen/botched schtuff that I've always meant to get around to if I ever, like, won the lottery one day and had absolutely nothing left to squander it on, or something. I don't quite know.

Anyway, if this works I can see maybe Columbia House or others jumping in and competing with even better offers down the road.

Is this the only thing of it's kind out there? Is anyone else aware of something just as similar, if not better? I'd actually be interested. It's starting to make a heap more sense to me to go this route than waiting for that damn Fiona Apple album to come floating in used. And that was $9.99!

4 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

When I was a little kid I'd always see the Columbia House "tape a penny to a postcard" thing in our TV Guide every week, and it always intrigued me. I was always asking for pennies just because I wanted to tape or glue that penny on the postcard.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think they're probably trying to keep up with the johnsons aka the internet. you can download so much stuff now and pay little or nothing. it made me think that i haven't heard anyone over the age of 7 ask for a cd in ages.
i to remember the columbia house penny thing. i did send it in and then got in trouble with the parents cause they were now obligated to buy a cd every month. ah innnocents.
-emily

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wanted to join the Clumbia House cassette thing and my mom would not let me- each week we would get the Sunday paper and I would circle the cassettes I wanted- guess it saved me from owning that Scorpions tape with Rock You Like a Hurricane

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Columbia House recently shut down and all of its members were switched over to BMG. They gave you two free CD's as part of the switch-over.

Jim
jimblan46@yahoo.com

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home