Monday, November 14, 2005

Funk In The Hole

So besides Brett's book and these used CDs (and er, Papa's new movie coming out on the 21st) this will probably be my last big indulgence for the rest of the year so that I can finally start planning for the holiday gift-giving season. One disk came in Saturday afternoon that I literally pounced all over -- Roy Ayers Virgin Ubiquity II:


Tracy hipped me to these "Virgin Ubiquity" tapes which she has been featuring on her website ever since they were released in the US earlier this year. Previously unreleased funk-jazz material dating from 1976 - 1981 just gathering cobwebs in his vaults, Ayers allowed UK label Rapster/BBE to root through, remaster and release these slightly "uncommercial" tracks that never made it to official album release throughout his career. Now if only Volume I will make its way through our front doors. Um, hopeful not until early next year, that is. {{crossing fingers}}

And I went ahead and snagged Fiona Apple Extraordinary Machine.


I've had the leaked Jon Brion version for several months, enjoying it quite a bit, so it was only a matter of time before I got up the gumption (and wait for it to come in used) to sample the Mike Elizondo official release version, and from what others have informed me it's pretty obvious that a highly stylized hip-hop producer got his mitts on it in a way that that has either alienated the fans of the original fractured funhouse merry-go-round ride of the Brion version or won over fans of the straight-forward previous work as a return to former form with a brand new perspective. Haven't heard it yet, either way. And it doesn't appear to be the dual disk version either, but you know, beggars and choosers and all that.

Tomorrow is my first of probably dozens of doctor's appointments in my ongoing breast reduction quest. I chose a female doctor in hopes of maybe getting a touch more sympathy from her side on this issue. I'm nervous. Not about going to the doctor, but just.... praying this is all going to work out in the end to my benefit. Somehow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

>>and from what others have informed me<<

Haha, yeah that person is me.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yep. You and two others.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home