Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I Got Bananas!

Do you have any idea how hard I've been fiending for some bananas in the last few days? Well sister, I gots me some. And they are RIPE brownish-yeller nanners too, not those greeny things sitting in the grocery store that you have to wait a few days to eat. Naw, these are old bitches, yo. And they were marked down for being old bitches so I can eat these bad boys right-the-fuck-NOW. In fact I'm havin' me one. Mmm! Damn, I'm in potassium heaven. I'd snap a picture of me so that you could see how freakin' happy I am right this minute but I'm thinking once I start posting photos of me deep-throating long slightly curved fruit with a look of utter ecstasy on my face I'd have to start either making this a pay-site or get busted for violating my own visage under the grrr substantive due process grumble US Section 2257 code. Just rest assured that I look like quite the content little monkey-girl right his moment with my yummy ripe banana. I'd get another one, but my keeper wants to see if I'll build a rudimentary step system out of blocks to reach the last one hanging from the ceiling. And baby, I ain't giving him that satisfaction. Ook ook. {{scritch-scratch}}

What else did I get today, besides nanners. Ah yes. Kate Bush's Aerial, which just came out today.


This double CD is the long awaited follow-up to 1993's The Red Shoes after Kate's 12-year baby-havin' hiatus (my word, her son is a pre-teen already!), filled with songs that she wrote and recorded periodically throughout that time away. The first disk, "A Sea Of Honey", is supposedly mostly the eccentric Kate-tinged pop that she is known for, while the second disk, "A Sky Of Honey" (I guess these titles explain the amber tones of the haunting album cover art) is bird-themed, where Kate allegedly performs in blackbird song. Kate has been known to turn into animals in several of her songs in the past so I suppose the blackbird is her current animal animus and I'll be interested to see how she pulls this one off.

Plus two used disks. One being Yma Sumac's Legend Of The Jivaro.


Although I only have a few of her songs, I've never owned a full album by Yma Sumac (that's Amy Camus to you dyslexics) until today, and this looks to be intriguing, if anything else. Yma, who always claimed to the descended from Incan kings, explores the music of the ancient Jivaros, neighbors of the Incas, who had their culture raided and decimated by the Spanish conquistadors and forced them to move into the mountains and revert back into a stone-age existence, practicing head-shrinking and trying to exist free from the influences of the outside world and the newly imposed white European rule. Each track on this CD documents the spiritual music of the Jivaros, like the "Sejollo (Whip Dance)" and "Yawar (Blood Festival)" including some original instruments, and of course Yma Sumac's remarkable four octave voice that never fails to impress. Looking forward to turning out all the lights and getting my exotica on with this one.

And the other, to my surprise, is ShelleyDevoto's Buzzkunst.


This must have come in last night after I left work because it sure wasn't there when I was working in the afternoon. I had heard word of a Pete Shelley/Howard Devoto project some time ago but have since completely wiped it from my memory until I saw this sitting in the used bin (that I just spent all of yesterday and Sunday cleaning out) for $6.99, not counting my 20% discount. And Amazon appears to have this retailed at $30, so something tells me this might already be OOP. Seems to be a live album, and I think it has two videos on it. Musically, um... wow. If the CD itself didn't say 2002 I could have sworn this was circa 1982 just from the first four tracks that I heard in the car driving home. From Shelley's early-80's New Wave Homosapien-era synth pop to, er, mid-80's Depeche Mode-y techno-funk to, urm, hey Pete just remembered that he knows how to play guitar so let's just feed that into the computer with everything else shall we? So far nothing revolutionary, but it is two of my favorite boys doing what they have pretty much always have been doing -- Shelley writing catchy hooks and Devoto spewing that ye olde schoole getpisseddestroy punk vitriol that some kids just don't ever outgrow. Well heck, good for them I say.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

At the Food Lion near my house, they tape up the old bananas (the ones that almost black) with something that looks like electrical tape. It makes them look even more nastier.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home