Wednesday, November 02, 2005

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

I haven't done one of these since my last blog. Here's a short list of stuff that I've been sort of getting into over the past month or so:

Barcelona, Spain: This city has been fast surpassing my older obsession with Budapest over the last few months as the next European city that I want to visit. The history, the culture, the MACBA... too much to list and so little money to get me there. But a girl can dream for next year, can't she.

Deviant Desires: Incredibly Strange Sex by Katharine Gates: I have been collecting books from the JunoBooks-V/Search-RE/Search Publications for years and this is one of the most recent that I added to my ever-extended bookshelf. Ms. Gate's essays on such sexual interests as "sploshing", crushing, ponyplay, chubby chasing, furries, fanfiction, and numerous other kinks and proclivities that have broadened and expanded since the advent of the World Wide Web. Not a lot of stuff that floats my boat personally, but a fascinating read nonetheless.

Small Club, 2nd Show That Night by Prince: A live recording from one of Prince's many "after shows" that he's known for, this one during his 1988 Summer Tour in Europe. The show started at 3am and there were only 300 people present. I've had this 2-disk bootleg set for eons but I was just listening to it again recently while burning a copy for a friend and I still can't get over how much this thing rocks my socks. Haunting versions of "Just My Imagination" and "I'll Take You There", and the unbelievably scorching "R.A.D.E" that still can't hold me down in my chair all these years later.

Peter Bagge's Apocalypse Nerd #2: Just picked this up today, actually. New 6-issue storyline about post-nuclear Seattle and two friends trying to survive in the Northwest wilderness with very little frontier skills and a slowly growing disdain for each other. Hilarity! And sharp character development in only the way that my beloved Mr. Bagge can pull off. Each issue will also feature a short historical vignette on the life of an American Founding Father, and Peter's skewering of Thomas Paine in this issue is a real stitch.

Ruth's Chris Steak House: Sure, it's a bloody chain. But they just opened one in my city and damn if they don't char the best New York Strip I've had in... who the hell knows anymore. I'm always looking for a place that makes a kick-ass steak, and this place does NOT do you wrong. Plus five-star service and a very convenient walk from my work place so I don't have to valet park my damn Taurus.

Wizard Of Oz 3-Disc Collector's Edition: Unless you are so much of a purist that you'll be up in arms over the original B&W Kansas scenes being painted over in warm sepia tones (personally I rather like it) this collection has just about anything a Wizard of Oz trivia nerd like myself could ever desire: gobs of extras like outtakes and deleted scenes, original trailers, several documentaries, audio commentary, and booklets containing reproductions of original premiere programs, invitations, tickets, and a collection of beautiful postcards. Just to name a few. Probably as definitive as one can get. Or enough to tide down the likes of me for awhile at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home