Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Count Basie Orchestra On Triangle

Alright y'all (eghad I just said "y'all" -- I can't even disguise my suthun' accent in my own damn blog) be sure to tune in for Jack's "big scene" in NCIS on CBS tonight so DON'T RING MY PHONE between the hours of 8-9pm... actually make that 8-10pm because I suppose I'm going to watch The Amazing Race right after it since I am addicted to that show despite how comparatively boring this "all-family" edition has grown to be. Not that I don't enjoy the idea, and not that I don't mind the keeping it all primarily in the United States this time around either. I watch the show for the travel, as I do so love to travel, and there are plenty of neat things to see and do in America as there is in India or Iceland or Afghanistan... but really, climb the World's Largest Office Chair? Roadside attractions are interesting, AT TIMES, but aren't there other places to go to and things to do all over the country? Heck, come to Virginia Beach and give the big happy Ronald McDonald statue sitting outside of the McDonalds located at the local Wal Mart a lap dance, for Pete's sake (oh wait I've already done that myself).

So does anybody remember this album, Mr. T's Commandment?


I got this Special Limited Edition picture disc at a dollar store nearly 15 years ago, and you know, I don't remember a damn thing about it. But I sure do have a fond affection for it. Well, because it's Mr. T and he bears a remarkable resemblance to my former roommate in this picture shortly after he got out of the Marines and grew a beard. Er, and a mohawk. And started wearing a lot of gold chains and different color tube socks. And the song titles listed on the sticker include:

Mr. T's Commandment
Mr. T's Commandment (Instrumental)
Don't Talk To Strangers
The Toughest Man In The World

Now I admit I'm a bit baffled as to the "instrumental" version of "Mr. T's Commandment", for aren't commandments something to need to verbalize? Unless, of course, he means to command us to "bust a move" out on the dance floor with his phat beats and dope BPMs. DID SOMEBODY SAY DOPE? Clubber Lang says "nope" to "dope", as is immediately evident on the picture disc where his commandments are laid out in little "buttons" orbiting around his imposing figure. Small, circular "No!" symbols with rudimentary drawings of a cigarette, a pot leaf, a bottle (alcohol? or is he preaching the evils of soda and caffeine? is Mr. T Mormon?), a spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down (wait, that's not sugar... THAT'S NOT SUGAR!), a hypodermic needle, an evil-grinning smiley face in a big black David Byrne suit holding a lollipop, and the letters "PCP". The other blue buttons hold what I assume are Mr. T's "positive" commandments, like an open book, a prize ribbon, a crossing sign I guess (oh wait, a man and woman holding hands with a child in a dress), a valentine, a star (incandescent gas is a positive thing), a musical note, a plant, and an A+. Mr. T appears to be threatening to put our porchlights out if we don't follow his simple commandments, but the so-called positive blue buttons come off a little abstruse to me. Even some of the "negative" buttons are a tad vague. Am I suppose to be stringing these along into some kind of linear pattern, like don't smoke while reading? Or uh, don't bogart that prize-winning cannabis crop? Don't let alcohol factor in between your bitter child custody battle? Mr. T, help me to understand! Should I be playing the instrumental version backwards for further instructions?


The back photo has Mr. T hanging out and "rappin'" with a small cluster of well-scrubbed kinder, some of which are kept behind the chicken wire fence because they are no doubt the very problem children that is the focus of Mr. T's concern. You can tell because one kid is wearing his baseball cap... backwards. Your classic textbook troublemaker. I pity the poor fools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home