Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Limbomaniacs

Alright alright alright alright. This... I swear I mean it... will be my last ever indulgence purchase of 2005. Because, well, anyone who knows me (from my last blog, at least) will know precisely why.

Allison from The Cold website just sent out this press release from Top Pop Records in New Orleans:


The Cold has previously released two CD's: Three Chord City, a 26-song collection of studio recordings, and Cold Sweat, a 26-song collection of live recordings. But there were still some unreleased songs, and alternate recordings of songs, that remained "in limbo".....until now.

"Limbo's Getting Crowded"

is the title of a 22-song collection of 1980's recordings by The Cold. It features 14 previously unreleased songs including "Parnell Pitcher", "Memories", "You Don''t Look at Me", "Talk to Me", "Agnes English", "My Way" and "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)". It also features alternate recordings of "Working Girl", "Hot Ride" and "Cleveland". In all, there are 16 studio recordings and six live tracks.

Now I do already have a few of these previously unreleased tracks as old demos, first takes, and live versions that date back to the era (1980-1984) but this looks to be a complete, perhaps final compilation of these rarities remastered and released on an official capacity, the way I suppose they were intended to be. Plus I have never heard "Agnes English", "My Way", and "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)", nor was I even aware that they ever existed. Apparently I am nowhere near the resourceful Cold-diggah I always fancied myself to be.

So I'm printing out the order form that Allison sent so that I can mail off for the disk. Man, I can understand keeping things forever in the DIY spirit of the times in which they reigned, but damn if I didn't wish Top Pop Records would finally get themselves a website where you can order directly online.
Oh yeah, and it goes without saying that there will be no band reunion this year. For once, I'm not going to protest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I can understand keeping things forever in the DIY spirit of the times in which they reigned, but damn if I didn't wish Top Pop Records would finally get themselves a website where you can order directly online.
######################

Melissa, you're absolutely right and the CD can now be ordered via paypal at toppoprecords@yahoo.com. Post-katrina checks have been slow to arrive, so you can order through paypal and we'll tear up your check when it arrives. Please note on your order that this is a replacement order, and we'll take care of it. Thanks a lot.....

Jim H. ---- Top Pop

9:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Jim, that's great news! I sent out a check last week so it might already have arrived, depending on how understandably unreliable the mail system in NOLA might be right now. Or by the time I get money cleared into my paypal account it's sure to arrive by then. I may wait a few weeks to see if the check arrives before I try paypal. But thank you so much for the new option, and thank you very very much for posting and responding. I've always loved you guys!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home