Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ballin' The Jack (A New Beginning)



Whoa, nellie. BIG NEWS for Jack & Co. out west... they have a new space for their face! The Circus Theatricals have left their former home at the Odyssey Theatre and have set up permanent residence at the Hayworth Theatre down on Wilshire Blvd. The website has just posted this press release:

***

CIRCUS THEATRICALS FINDS NEW HOME
Award-winning theatre company moves to Hayworth Theatre Center in the Historic Wilshire District

December 1, 2005 - Award-winning and critically-acclaimed theatre company, Circus Theatricals, has ended its residency at the Odyssey theatre, and has found a new home at the Hayworth Theatre Center. The Hayworth Theatre Center is conveniently located in Los Angeles' historic Wilshire District. A former movie theatre and dance studio, The Hayworth is being transformed into a vibrant new theatre and performing arts complex. The company will call its theatre The Circus Theatricals Studio Theatre at The Hayworth.

The Circus Theatricals Studio Theatre at the Hayworth will house a newly built theatre for productions and professional acting classes, dressing rooms, green room, rehearsal space, offices, and a spacious lobby. The new theatre site offers convenient street parking as well as a parking structure adjacent to the building, with a special low rate for theatre patrons.
“We're very excited about having a place to call our own again," says Circus Theatricals Artistic Director Jack Stehlin. "Our own permanent space will allow us the opportunity to take Circus Theatricals to the next level."

Circus Theatricals will present a season of four main stage and four second stage productions a year. The 2006 season, to be announced, will include a mixture of classics and new works. The company also plans to develop more new works with established and budding playrights, expand its community outreach programs, develop a subscription audience, and add more professional acting classes and special workshops, such as the popular Shakespeare workshop with associate artist Alfred Molina.

***


Above are some pictures from the site, which you can click on to enlarge: Photo one is the outside of the Hayworth itself, which looks considerably prettier than the glaring blue, er, blueness of the Odyssey Theatre. At least the creamy colors here won't threaten to scorch out my rods and cones just standing in front of it. Photo two is the CT Ensemble, with Jack and his wife Jeannine out in front with three of his lovely young daughters sitting on their laps. Photo three is the site of their upcoming new rehearsal room. You can definitely tell this used to be a dance studio at one point. I can just make out Jack there gesticulating excitedly to what appears to be Alfred Molina in the foreground.

I'm really thrilled for the Stehlins. It appears to be quite a sweet set-up and I'm looking forward to the potential possibilities that this new space might bring to their productions. And GAHHH I wish I knew what the new 2006 season will be right now so that I can start making plans in advance to grumble about not having enough to go out there now -- although I do admit that, if it indeed will be open to the public, I'd be curious to attend the benefit fundraiser that will be hosted by Fred Molina coming up in February. I have no idea what the fundraiser itself entails but I have always tried my best to give what I can afford to Jack and the CT posse in past events like these where I couldn't physically attend but would send a little something via paypal if I could. And heck, I'm always looking for another reason to fly out to L.A. again. Maybe this time I won't be driving down Whilshire Blvd. during an earthquake. I still feel royally ripped off for missing out on the experience because I was already in motion. Dammit! I want my money back!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack's little girls don't seem too thrilled about it, lol.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah! They have this look on their faces like thy're used to rolling their eyes at their parents and going, "{{sigh}} theater people."

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home