Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hamburger Fields Forever

Bless his heart. The love of my life just gave me what little scratch he has left to send me to the doctor this morning for cough syrup, since what little he has left is more than what I can say I have at the moment. We ended up selling off a load of CDs, DVDs, and X-Box games that we don't use anymore at my store last night, most of which we needed to pay off some debts but damn crack addicts that we are of course we couldn't leave the store without utilizing a bit of store credit on top of my employee discount. Thus... the DVD special addition of The Celluloid Closet:


I originally saw this in the theater when it first came out (then later read the book of the same name by Vito Russo) and I've owned the VHS for several years, but now this special addition DVD contains commentary with filmmakers Robert Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman, Lily Tomlin, producer Howard Rosenmann, and editor Arnold Glassman, plus additional commentary with Vito Russo as well as an interview and some deleted outtakes. For those who haven't seen it, it is a documentary on the history of homosexuality in Hollywood pictures, how they have been portrayed quite often as tragic, monstrous, homicidal, or even as comic foils and limp-wristed stereotypes. Also touching on subtext, how gays and lesbians were often inserted almost subliminally, leaving certain longing looks and opaque phrases open for the viewer's interpretation (although isn't it more than obvious to anyone that Plato was madly in love with Jim Stark in Rebel Without A Cause?). Featuring commentary with several Hollywood actors like Tom Hanks and Whoopi Goldberg as well as openly gay writers Susie Bright and Gore Vidal offering many of their own perceptions from what they see in many of these films. Anyway, now that we have the DVD Joe can put our VHS copy into his video store to rent, though whether or not it will rent in that ultra-conservative uppity yatch club neighborhood where he works remains to be seen.

So anyway, back to that proverbial foot pressing down on my chest. The Doc-In-The-Box gave me some new kind of cough syrup that I've never tried before, and as usual I am taking it during the day when I have to operate heavy machinery to carry my happy ass to work today. At this point I've developed an immunity to codeine to the point where I can sell you anything with a straight face even though inside I may be drunk as a skunk. Although I'm sure now that you locals as aware of my state you'll be pouring in this afternoon ready to make me run obstacle courses through the CD bins for your amusement (sure, like anybody reads this thing anymore).


::Edit::


Whoooo, doggie! This tussin's the shizzit.... pink fuckin' elephants on parade, mutherfuckas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home