Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Emo?

I guess they made a film about Ian Curtis. Actually I was going to say that the first half of 24 Hour Party People was already a film about Ian Curtis, and probably the only one you'll ever need. But I suppose I'll check this one out eventually.

Oh, before I forget, I acquired a few more articles of entertainment this past week:


Hag: The Best of Merle Haggard. I've been in full-throttle Hag-phase for nearly half a year ever since his 60's releases were put back out this past summer, and I was almost tempted not to get this since I had planned to try and get them all anyway in dribs and drabs. But when I told my friend David that this just came in used at my store he convinced me to snap it up because of the more recent duet with Toby Keith titled "She Ain’t Hooked On Me No More" and I'm mighty obliged t' him for that. Awful swell stuff here, David. And so are you! ;)


Virginia Beach natives Clipse and their new album Hell Hath No Fury, produced by Virginia Beach natives The Neptunes, who pretty much produce everything else in the world these days. As is typical of the Neptunes sound, it's trademark sparse, minimalist funk-click lays down the bedrock for the group's sound which has lately been picked up by many other hip-hop artists making it big with it right now. It's been called one of the best albums of 2006 too. Ugh... if I ever get to it in my listening stack it will be well on to 2008, which would be typical since I'm known to be the last to latch on to anything in the mainstream or otherwise.


Scottish 80's New Romantic Euro-popsters Associates Sulk, featuring the late Bill Mackenzie on vocals and remastered by former Cure bassist Michael Dempsey who also played with the band in his early post-Cure years. My first time hearing them. And the sound, wow... that takes me back. To my early teens. To forlorn synth-sorrow on the radio. To a time of no responsibilities. To gleaming swimming pools on moonlit nights. To when there were still... possibilities. This music makes me kinda sad.

1 Comments:

Blogger x said...

Still on the Merle kick, eh? That's not a bad thing at all.

Should I be afraid or happy that Antom Corbjin is directing that Curtis pic? Just noticed that both leads are named Sam.

Take care.
cpg

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home