Friday, March 30, 2007

It's Alright Ma, It's Only Witchcarft

I think it's been officially three days since I stopped feeling like I had been swung by my ankles repeated into a wall by a 8-foot tall toddler. Funny how I was hardly this sick the actual day I was sick, but the over a week-long recovery period felt like I was dying. Exhaustion, nausea, raging overall misery, more nausea, and even more exhaustion than I previously let on. And now I finally have the equilibrium to sit up straight at the computer long enough to type something about my life out there into the void only to say... ah, I got nuthin'. Well, other than leaving for Vegas this Sunday for S.'s wedding. Which, by the way, will be live on the internet, and probably rockabilly-themed, as there will be bowling shirts and Elvis involved. I had no idea what my participation in this will be but at this point I'm game for anything. I miss the pranks and mischief we used to get into together before things changed over the last few years, and I'm really hoping this experience together really helps bring us as close as we once were, or heck, in regular communication again. She seems thrilled that I'm coming, so I think we're heading in a positive direction here.

A few things acquired these last two weeks to feed the little brain-hamster in its wheel...


Charlie Parker's Yardbird Suite, and I'm really not quite sure why I bought this because I'm pretty certain I have about 80% of this on numerous other Parker disks up in this jank, but it does cover a pretty creative period in his career and I suppose it's nice to have all of it together in one compilation. Perhaps it was just an irrational jazz reflex, which I get from time to time. A $20 reflex, to be sure. Oh well, it was used anyway.


The most awesome Unknown Hinson and his badazhewannabee EP Rock N' Roll Is Straight From Hell which also came in used and righteously cheap. Contains the hilariously excellent "Love On Command" which I've been wanting for, like, forever. A couple of other tracks recorded live and just more overall gut-bustin' southern gothic hillbilly vampire representin'.


The EMI rep came to visit this week, and I snagged the promo to Sound Of Silver, the latest from LCD Sound System, or in other words James Murphy surrounded by a lot of blipping, tweaking technology. Digital wizardry with personality, or something like that. I suppose I'll download it into my iPod tonight for the plane ride to Vegas for further exploration.


As far as DVDs I invested in something I've been meaning to check out for awhile: The Alan Clarke Collection which packages the early works of the seminal British film and television producer and director from the 70's and 80's, with works that include Scum, Made In Britain, The Firm, and Elephant. So far I have only seen the TV pilot for Scum, starring a young Ray Winstone (Sexy Beast) as a boy caught up in the harrowingly bleak and brutal British juvenile detention system, and Made In Britain starring a 16-year-old Tim Roth as an NF skinhead, the story of which was okay but worked more a showcase for Roth's truly galvanizing performance as a monstrous creature made all the more monstrous for being frighteningly intelligent and possibly beyond redemption. I have yet to see The Firm but it also has an early performance by Gary Oldman as well, so I'm looking forward to that.

If I don't post anything before I leave, I'll see you folks either probably Thursday, since I'll be getting back maybe late Wednesday night. I might have time to post something then. Until then peace and humpitness forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home