Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Are You The New Butler?

I'm thinking since Christmas is a week away, I may post a few songs and videos that remind me of this time of year, or Christmases from the past, or whatever else I can find that might fit the season and whatnot. Not like I have much else to post about these days, unless you wanna keep hearing about my swollen knee until New Years.

So my first choice...



Some of my early 80's Christmas memories involve watching the video to "The Little Drummer Boy" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie on the then-inchoate MTV channel. Me not being fully aware of Bowie except for the odd MTV video like "Ashes To Ashes" and "Fashion", although I remember at the time Bowie looked almost exactly like the stepfather of three of my best friends (sisters) and it used to give us the giggles watching this, as simple as the imagery is, and later just how odd a pairing this really came to be. Der Bingle and the Thin White Duke almost look like they could be sharing a cup of cocoa in matching red reindeer sweaters in Bing's gothic cardboard mansion together. Maybe in an alternate universe they could share interests like, oh, golfing one week, buggering Elton John the next (okay one is an urban legend I know... we don't know for certain if Bowie likes to golf). But to this day I still like the stiff, stilted world that they inhabit, and it keeps me in that safe and happy place I was in as a young girl.

God, I would love to know that feeling of complete safety and warmth once again. And to maybe see Bowie recreate this moment with someone like, oh, Bootsy Collins these days. Heck, anything with Bootsy Collins is a very merry Christmas as far as I'm concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home