Thursday, January 17, 2008

What It All Comes Down To

I'm losing my marbles trying to remember a movie that I saw when I was a little girl. Or rather, a very small part of a movie that my father was watching on TV when I walked in and asked what was going on. It seemed to have been made in either the 1950's or early 60's, and had a grand musical production quality to the whole affair. It was an image of heaven, with white clouds and people in togas and the whole shebang. Children were being called by lottery to board a ship that would take them back to Earth to be reborn to new families (or so my father explained). One teenage boy was called but he didn't want to go, as he had fallen in love with a girl in heaven and was clinging to her, begging to stay, and she was crying as they were pulled apart and he was made to get onto the ship with the other children. Then the ship sails, and the children all stand at the helm and sing, which my father told me was a hymn of happiness at being sent back to Earth once again to live and forget their past existence, but sounded like an incredibly sad, solemn thing to me.

Anybody? Please? I'll make you cookies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home