Saturday, July 05, 2008

Willful Damage

First 4th of July off in years, and I was actually invited to three parties for a change. What does a terminal wallflower do in such situations? Turns out I only managed to squeak in two parties, and one of which was my parents' cook-out in Chesapeake, which... does it count when it's your own home? Even if you don't technically live there anymore (okay, so I've done laundry there a few times). But afterwards Joe and I headed out to P-Town where Randy had set up his brand-spankin' new projector hooked into his laptop out in the backyard, and Liz cooked burgers and dogs while we all lounged about in the grass as Randy proceeded to show us (as well as Sam and Tricia and about ten other people) what he had set up and pre-edited beforehand. Which included this great, cartoonishly gory German industrial safety video followed by a series of Russ Meyer trailers (Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill!, Blacksnake, Vixen, Wild Gals Of The Naked West, Mudhoney, Supervixens, Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens) while the neighbors shot off fireworks from their own backyards, lighting up the sky above us. It was shortly after the trailers when the sky was soon lit by lightening and thunder, and we all managed to grab food and electronic equipment before the cloudbursting and hustle it all inside the house. After waiting about twenty minutes when the rains let up we rushed the gear back outside again, laying everything on top of dry towels, and proceeded to watch about the first fifteen minutes of Perdita Durango (a.k.a Dance With The Devil) when suddenly the downpour hit again and that pretty much ended the rest of the film festival for the evening. But it was nice to hang with Randy and Lizzie and them for a spell, however wet and rainy and mosquito-bitey it all was. I still smell like one of the Off! insect-repellent wipes that Liz gave me last night, no matter how hard I scrubbed when I got home. Not to mention my ass still feels wet from the rain-soaked chairs. And you know it was a good party when you come home with a wet ass, I always say.

But overall I ate a lot and laughed a lot and petting Randy's dog Roky (yes, named after Erickson) a lot, and Randy let me borrow his rare Region 2 box set to the British comedy series The Comic Strip that ran briefly on MTV back in the 80's along with The Young Ones and had much of The Young Ones cast in it. I've only had several early Comic Strip episodes on tape from recording them on the air way back when and I think those old tapes are dust now, so there are no words to describe how stoked I am to see this again, needless to say. Too bad I'm still too worn out to watch any of it at the moment. How I wish during times like these I could call S. again and invite her over to watch them with me, like the old days. She developed such a crush on Adrian Edmonson after seeing him in the "Summer School" episode that we joked about it all through to the end, with her busting me up repeating "Day-um, is it wrong of me to wanna bang Vyvyan in this episode?" And gadzooks.... so do I now!

Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend. Now I must go stanch the blood flowing from my forehead for some reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home