Thursday, December 11, 2008

Does Seeing The Film Count?

Meme ganked from wemblee today:

What we have here is the top 106 books most often marked as "unread" by LibraryThing’s users. As in, they sit on the shelf to make you look smart or well-rounded. Bold the ones you've read, underline the ones you read for school, italicize the ones you started but didn't finish.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (should pick this up again)
Anna Karenina (Christ, I wanted to punch her)
Crime and Punishment
Catch-22

One Hundred Years of Solitude
Wuthering Heights (I marked both because I first read it as an oral report in high school, even did a cartoon of it for the class, but didn't offically pick it up and read it for pleasure until eight years later. Now one of my favorite books of all time.)
The Silmarillion
Life of Pi : a novel
The Name of the Rose
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
Ulysses

Madame Bovary
The Odyssey
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre (Liked this almost as much as her sister's book)
The Tale of Two Cities (Annoyed the heck out of me. My dad rented the movie for me the night of the big test and I aced it.)
The Brothers Karamazov
Guns, Germs, and Steel: the fates of human societies
War and Peace
Vanity Fair
The Time Traveler’s Wife
The Iliad
Emma
The Blind Assassin
The Kite Runner
Mrs. Dalloway
Great Expectations
American Gods
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Another one that annoyed.)
Atlas Shrugged
Reading Lolita in Tehran : a memoir in books
Quicksilver
Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the West
The Canterbury Tales
The Historian : a novel
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Love in the Time of Cholera
Brave New World
The Fountainhead
Foucault’s Pendulum (Just Dave and I used to yammer on about this book way back when.)
Middlemarch
Frankenstein
The Count of Monte Cristo
Dracula
A Clockwork Orange
Anansi Boys
The Once and Future King
The Grapes of Wrath
The Poisonwood Bible : a novel
1984
Angels & Demons
The Inferno
The Satanic Verses
Sense and Sensibility
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Mansfield Park
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
To the Lighthouse
Tess of the D’Urbervilles
Oliver Twist
Gulliver’s Travels
Les Misérables
The Corrections
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Dune
The Prince
The Sound and the Fury
Angela’s Ashes : a memoir
The God of Small Things
A People’s History of the United States : 1492-present
Cryptonomicon
Neverwhere
A Confederacy of Dunces (One of my top two novels of all time.)
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Dubliners
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-five (Bigger fan of Cat's Cradle.)
The Scarlet Letter
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
The Mists of Avalon
Oryx and Crake : a novel
Collapse : how societies choose to fail or succeed
Cloud Atlas
The Confusion
Lolita (Love this to death. The man has a way with prose like nobody's business.)
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
The Catcher in the Rye
On the Road
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Freakonomics : a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance : an inquiry into values
The Aeneid
Watership Down
Gravity’s Rainbow
The Hobbit
In Cold Blood : a true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
White Teeth
Treasure Island
David Copperfield
The Three Musketeers


Can anybody recommend anything? I'm in want of some reading material these days.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new Roth is short but amazing.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Speaking of Roth, did you ever see Elegy?

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God...circumstances of life dictate that I never see anything until it's available from Netflix, and this one isn't until March. I know how much certain passages meant to you...did they do right by them? I remember thinking what a hash they made of "Stain," so I admit I wasn't/amn't all that much looking forward to this one. But the same desperate longing for the past that keeps me buying whatever Elvis Costello puts out will certainly make me give over two hours of my life to this...

10:47 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I actually haven't seen Elegy yet, but I had read some really good reviews, which I guess are common for anything with Ben Kingsley in it... but uncommon for anything involving a film version of Roth in general. I never saw Human Stain either but I also never got to read the book, since the copy I bought two years ago went missing shortly after.

And I'm the same way, more or less, waiting for everything to come out on Netflix these days. Just got Anthony Quinn in Requiem For A Heavyweight. And Baby Mama. NOT with Anthony Quinn.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home