Friday, April 10, 2009

Butt-Keys?

The Friday Five:

1. If you could give out Best Picture, Best Actor/Actress and Best Director Oscars to any movies (not necessarily all from the same year) to people/films that haven't won, what would they be?
Best Picture? C'mon, the unforgivable crime that Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot never received its due? Still the best thing everybody in that film has ever done (and that's saying something). And the best thing Marilyn Monroe was ever in, including Playboy (and that's really saying something!) And as far as Best Actor I'm gonna go the best supporting actor route and give a righteous shout-out to the effortlessly phenomenal Edward G. Robinson in Double Indemnity (can you tell I likes them Billy Wilder flix?). For Best Director, Alfred Hitchcock, for pretty much everything. Though my favorites are Rebecca, North By Northwest, Rear Window, Shadow of A Doubt, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Vertigo. Not very original or unpredictable choices, I agree. But when justice has never been served one's voice must join the chorus in order to be heard.

2. What is your favorite genre of writing (short stories, novels, nonfiction...)?
Nonfiction, especially history books. Biographies. For fiction, I enjoy science fiction, favoring the H.G Wells/Jules Verne steampunk variety. But without trying to be, like post-steampunk... er, steampunk. Neo-steampunk? Gotta stop saying steampunk...

3. Are there any CDs to which you know every word? Movies?
Movies? Oh, all the obnoxious nerd fodder that everyone else knows, like Monty Python's The Holy Grail and whatnot. The kind of things you get you not invited back to parties again for quoting as if you're the first person to have ever seen it (so that's why my phone never rings anymore). Though Bachelor Party is another that Joe only one other person can quote along with me. Music is weirder, because I rarely pay much attention to lyrics and even some of my all-time favorite songs I have no idea what they're singing about. But I suppose there are a few. The other day I pulled out my vinyl copy of Psonic Psunspot by The Dukes Of Stratosphear and realized that I probably never have to listen to that album ever again because I know every note, every lyric, every chord, from beginning to end and back again.

4. If you could write and cast your own movie, what would it be about and who would you cast?
Probably a movie based on my father's life, because my dad's had some total wackadoo adventures inadvertently situated Forrest Gump-style into oddball moments in American history. And the part of my dad would be played by Joe Pesci . Not because my dad looks or acts anything like Joe Pesci. I just think Joe Pesci needs more work. And it would be hilarious.

5. What's the best song to wake you up? Put you to sleep?
To wake up? Probably "Minimum Wage" by They Might Be Giants (gets me in the proper frame of mind for going to work). To sleep? Anything but that terrifying crying baby song off the Ashes album by Christian Death. Sweet baby Jesus, never again. ::shudders::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home