Monday, May 11, 2009

Pon Farr From Home

An interesting conversation over at my good friend Wemblee's live journal about (Nyota!) Uhura's mini skirt in the new Star Trek picture. Oh, and I'm mein_freund, in case you were all wondering.

After the movie Joe and Mike and I sat out on the patio at Uno's Grill and discussed the movie over lunch (and all of us other than melanin-man Mike got a little sunburned in the process).

SPOILERS BEWARE! (you've been warned)

*
*
*
*

I liked it. To quote Joe, "Stuff got blowed up real good", which is our sarcastic review of your typical summer action flick without much substance. Although in this case, I as a Trekkie really did enjoy what they did with the "reboot", so to speak. Aside from the usual plot device where the villain is some rogue element whose wife gets "fridged" and basically goes nuts and takes it out on the galaxy, yada yada... not to mention a touch of post 9/11 allegory and approach to terrorism, etc etc... I'm really quite interested to see where they go with this in future installments. And I am extremely impressed with everyone involved and how exquisitely they inhabited these well known and loved characters. Seemed a little "illogical" for Spock and Uhura to be all kissy-kissy on the transporter pad in front of everybody. And DUDE! I TOTALLY didn't recognize Winona Ryder as Spock's mom. I didn't even know she was even in the film until I saw her name in the ending credits and I wondered allowed who she played. I think what happened to her crushed me more than any other individual casualty in the picture. She was always such a doting, human anchor for Spock in a way where someone who doesn't need "doting on" would be secretly appreciative of it. I think this film handled Spock's longtime quiet, unexpressed attachment to her mother in a way that was truly effective... even during the moments in the film when he wasn't so "quiet" about it.

Thank God it's raining to day. With no air conditioning in my store, I need a break from this oppressive heat. And Mike's coming over with an "exciting" new video game tonight that he insists I must play with him. Sounds like my dance card is full for the evening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous wembley said...

I was honestly really surprised that the miniskirt thing became such an object of debate! I mean, really, guys?

Poor Spock! All of Vulcan, man! I really can't wait to see the movie again. (Bones was so hot. They were all so hot!)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

But I thought it was a really fun little debate, and not to mention your LJ friends are dang FUNNY! Then again I can probably imagine guys talking long into the night abour Uhura's mini back in the 1960's as well. ;)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home