Friday, June 12, 2009

Yes Yes What?

The Friday Five:

1. What was your favorite class/subject in school?
In high school, it was art. Although my senior year consisted of all classes that were favorite subjects of mine: Art, Ceramics, Creative Writing, American/British Lit, Psychology, Advanced Reading, American/British Government. First year in my life I actually got on the honor roll.

2. Who was your favorite teacher?
I had a lot of nice teachers during my senior year, but none that really stood out as a favorite. Ironically my art teacher for three years, Mr. Roberson, was one of the meanest teachers I've ever had. But in a way, it made him one of the best teachers that I ever had.

3. Why was your favorite teacher your favorite?
Going back to Mr. Roberson, he was a Vietnam vet who sort of ran his classes like a drill sarge. Even if somebody hiccuped in his class during his lecture he'd bark, "YOU WOULDN'T BE HICCUPING IF YOU WERE COWERING IN A FOXHOLE WHILE THE ENEMY WAS MARCHING ABOVE YOUR HEAD!" He wasn't afraid to literally ball up your work and throw it back at you, telling you "That looks like shit! Do it AGAIN!" He didn't mince words, and that more than anything probably helped me get past my obstacles in learning how to paint or draw. By the time I got to college, I would get so frustrated with my art instructor because she wouldn't tell me what was wrong with my picture in order for me to improve, instead of just nattering on pleasantly about "Well... it's very nice right in.... this area. Yes, very nice." Argh. By the way, Mr. Roberson chose me out the that year's graduating class to give a $100 art scholarship. Hey, $100 is something!

4. What would you have liked to major in in college? Or what will you major in if you go to college?
I was an art major. I had planned out two years of fine arts, then two years of commercial art once I built up enough of a decent resume to apply to VCU.

5. Would you rather go to a small, medium, or large college, if you had the money to go to any of the three?
I went to a small private college with the intention of transferring to a bigger one in my sophomore year. Richmond has always had a vibrant, thriving art scene and VCU seemed to be the place to go to get my degree taken seriously. But for all the jokes I make about Ferrum it was was a pretty nice little school. The teaching staff was extremely dedicated, but the student body was always wearing sweatshirts with the name of colleges that they really wanted to attend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home