Monday, August 10, 2009

Crazy From The Heat

About 100 degrees today in my city. 110 in my hometown across the border. Days like this I am reminded how lucky I am to have a place to stay out of the sun, unless I'm dense enough to venture out into it, like today. Well, I had some errands to run, like take Joe to get some blood drawn at Labcorp for his stomach issues. Stomach issues different from mine, that is -- or so it seems. But after twelve hours of fasting for the blood test we were both ready for an early lunch and headed down to the beach to one of our favorite sandwich shops where Joe knows the owner. Joe had a strange incident where I thought he was choking, or going to either vomit or pass out, but the only thing we could surmise was that he must have swallowed a piece of the toothpick left holding together his egg salad wrap when he pulled it out of his sandwich to eat it. It was terrible going down, as I could imagine. My fear as it was happening and not knowing what to do, however, was indescribable.

The day got hotter as we spent most of the afternoon in a Kia auto showroom, discussing Joe's options for trading in his Buick LeSabre for the "Cash For Clunkers" program. Wouldn't you know it, a clunker has to get at least eighteen miles to the gallon, and Joe's gets twenty, so it's actually not clunky enough. But the heat out in the street was getting oppressive, and my own car doesn't have much A.C. to speak of, so it was a scorching ride home, breathing in burning air and eyes scalding from the sweat dripping into them from my forehead (as bushy as my eyebrows are they do nothing to block sweat like they are supposed to do). We had plans to go see Bunny Lake Is Missing at the Naro tonight, followed by a discussion group hosted by local critic Mal Vincent on the films of Otto Preminger, but once we set foot back in our air conditioned abode and peeled off our soaked clothes neither of us were entirely motivated to leave the house again for the rest of the day. Well, we did for a brief while later in the afternoon, where I had to mail off a check and had dinner at the local Vietnamese restaurant, where the piping hot and lightly spicy bún hue that I usually get actually counteracted with the fiery heat of the outdoors. But I did stop by the store after to buy up some watermelon, mangoes, blueberries, bananas, romaine lettuce, and Granny Smith apples to keep me healthy and hydrated during this monumentally hideous heatwave.

I spent the rest of the day in my bra and panties lounging on my cool sheets, watching Waltz With Bashir. Now relaxing under the ceiling fan wearing not much more. Yes, I really am luckier than most.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

Yeah, my dad couldn't clunk his surprisingly older than it looks 2004 Dodge Intrepid because of the gas mileage thing.

I could clunk my 2004 Xterra or an newer Xterra, but I just don't want to. Dad said we still owe a little too much money on the car.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home