Friday, September 04, 2009

Living In Hope

I'm still debating whether or not I want to trade in all my old Beatles CDs for the new remasters coming out September 9th, because as much as I hear that the new versions sound utterly amazing, I get the feeling they'd need an equally utterly amazing sound system to fully appreciate them -- which I do not have.

But when are they finally going to remaster as well as put out a RockBand version of The Rutles is what I wanna know!



The original Rutles were of course a segment from Monty Python's Eric Idle's 1975 show Rutland Weekend Television and featured on American TV on Saturday Night Live with Idle himself as the "Paul" character Dirk McQuickly, Neil Innes (formerly of the Bonzo Dog Band) as the "John" character Ron Nasty, John Halsey (formerly of Timebox) as "Ringo" character Barry Wom, and David Battley (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) as the "George" character Stig O'Hara. Battley was later replaced by sometime Beach Boys drummer Ricky Fataar as Stig in the Lorne Michaels' produced documentary All You Need Is Cash.



I can't remember if I had seen the documentary first or bought the album before, but I'm pretty sure that they were both within a year of each other, since I was going through an enormous Beatles phase in 1987 and bought and watched everything I could get my hands on pertaining to the group, parody or otherwise. But I do remember buying a vinyl copy of the album at a flea market in Roanoke, Virginia for about a dollar, complete with booklet and everything. A friend of ours had a turntable in his college dorm and we used to backmask the backwards loop bit from "Piggy In The Middle" to hear it say "Thisss little piggy went to maaaar-ket".



What was wonderfully remarkable about the whole idea of The Rutles is despite being a parody, it's also done with what seems at least to me to be an obvious love for the subject matter. Idle and Innes wrote songs that not only sounded as if The Beatles would have recorded them, but parodies their story in All You Need Is Cash in a way that paralleled The Beatles to the point where when I showed this movie at the cottage in Nags Head last summer, my friend Hunter who had never seen it before started to freak out a little and had trouble watching it because she literally had a difficult time sorting out what was truth and what was parody, despite how obvious the parody was.



Rhino Records put The Rutles out on CD back on 1990 and it still appears to be in print. I finally just bought the CD myself after having had the LP for so many years, but I know every song by heart I hardly ever listened to it anymore. Hearing it again, however, I forget how actually fantastic these songs really are.



RockBand, take note. The Beatles game looks pretty rad, but if you really want me to sell out for a Wii, make a deal with The Rutles. Then maybe we'll talk game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home