Friday, September 25, 2009

Shadows And Fog

Two days of cramps and lying around in bed, drifting in and out of a Tylenol PM coma. Beginning to see a break in the clouds. Well, not outside the window, to be sure. Lots of rain these days. But that's good. Keeps things nice and cool. And rain and sleeping go so perfectly together.

We are getting a new general manager for my store in the next few weeks. Actually not a new manager so much as an old one that used to be general manager shortly before I began working there six years ago. A few of the long-time staff have worked with him during those years, and he sounds like a real taskmaster. Which I say good. Finally, somebody who knows how to take the reins and return a sense of control to that chaos. I'm a bit torn, because I hear so many mixed reviews about this guy. One loves him, one hates him, etc. But what I am hoping for most of all is perhaps a boss who might recognize my value. There has been so much "cronyism" in the last few months with my hours being systematically divided up amongst brand new hires -- friends of the guy who makes our schedules. Those five-hour-a-day-three-day-a-week schedules you see on my blog are a result of that. But one girl told me "Just hold on, because when the new boss gets here, things are going to change. He will want somebody like you, and not these new worthless kids wandering around cluttering up the payroll. He will work you to death. But he will at least give you the hours to do so." Well, I don't mind being worked to death. So long as I'm getting those precious hours to kill myself.

I've known about this for awhile, which is why I've been holding out until the new change. But ultimately, something has to be done. I need full time work, and my COBRA runs out next spring. Scared. Worried. Crampy.

Somebody please rub my sore belly?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home