Monday, October 19, 2009

Never Should Have Seen Those Eyes

I want to make a web comic.

Actually, not really. I would love to make a real honest-to-goodness comic book, but that doesn't seem to be where the industry is going these days.

Or maybe it's just my urge to draw is rising again, but I am tapped out of creative ideas. And have been tapped out for a ridiculously good long time. My last idea of painting giant fictional comic strip panels taken out of context hasn't quite died on the vine yet, but I've been just lacking the room to do it in my cramped townhouse. It was a little distressing driving past the Stockley Gardens Art Festival in Norfolk yesterday and thinking, "If I had started that project back when I came up with it, I would be out there right now, maybe making sales." Freezing weather and rain be damned and all that.

Hanging out at Hunter's house and seeing her work reminded me of how much I've squandered my talent throughout the years. All I have to show for it are old fliers from bands booked back in the 1990's, most of which were torn down and thrown away when I moved from Norfolk to Virginia Beach. Unlike Hunter, I was never much of a painter. But then I figured if I painted in the style in which I drew then maybe I might find my niche. That urge is coming back to me again. I really gotta start justifying my existence on this earth somehow. Or at least leave a delightfully tacky carbon trail in my wake. John Waters would be pleased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home