Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Satisfy Mah Needs

Thanksgiving day.... OFF! Well, maybe I'l go in for two hours in the morning for data entry if they'll let me, which I doubt they will. Not like I'd get double time anyway since I'm no longer full time. But Joe's off too, and my aunt Ruby is in town, AND my uncle Dick and aunt Janice have moved back into town from Massachusetts this year so it'll be nice seeing family I get to see maybe once a year if I'm lucky. Plus cousin Steve and uncle Bobby and maybe uncle Billy and cousin Adam, not to mention my moms and pops and lil bro. And those are just the ones that RSVP'd! Plus Steven and I just discovered a mutual love for film that will have us dominating the conversation at the dinner table Thursday, so we'll probably get wedged into the kids table away from the adults again for our senseless monkey chatter.... just like old times!

In the meantime I scooped up a few used items that I had on hold before they disappear on Black Friday. An old associate of mine named Ronnie that dates back to our days working at the Music Man (1989-1991) has been selling back his entire CD collection after putting them all on his hard drive, so I've been digging hungrily through his goods, actually remembering back when the two of us had either bought or gotten these very same CDs gratis as promos (many still have the Music Man "lifetime guarantee" sticker on the outside). But he did have a few things I didn't, namely the original CD to Bikini Red by the Screaming Blue Messiahs, which was recently remastered but I haven't been able to successfully order for the store so I bought

his old copy since these days I only have it on vinyl. And another Screaming Blue Messiahs CD that I had never heard before called Totally Religious, which I think was their last album and is waaaay out of print, not even getting the remaster treatment like Gun Shy and Bikini Red did. But although this 1989 album didn't get the recognition that the first two classics before it received, it still has that great fun spirit and drive of the band.



Not from Ronnie, but still another sought-after classic; I've always wanted a copy of Space Is The Place by spacey former Jupiter resident Sun Ra after downloading the track "Rocket Number Nine" (did Mystery Science Theater 3000 use that song as a reference to the Satellite Of Love's periscope?). This 1972 album from Impulse Records seems to be a touchstone for Sun Ra fans, and it's a tragedy that I have only owned one album by the man in the last 15 of so years that I have heard of him. Maybe things continue to rectify themselves after that.



And after playing the dickens out of "Tall Boy" for nearly a week, with all its Justin Timberlake-like spell-casting good disco times, I finally shelled out for a new copy of Har Mar Superstar's brand new Dark Touches, and turned my computer room into the Danceteria. Though only slightly less gay. You dig?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home