Thursday, December 24, 2009

If The Kids Are United

Last night's Trolling Bones Revue documentary of the Tidewater punk scene from the late 70's and early 80's was very well done. Kelly Miltier says it's just the director's cut and not the finished product, but the footage he's obtained from last year's reunion show was very good and I particularly enjoyed the way the new footage was edited along with old photographs and fliers from the old days, and I could really get a feeling of what the scene must have felt like during that time. I was telling Mike and David that since I am ten years younger than them I wasn't around for that particular time period in the local music scene, but I had an awareness of sorts of many of these bands from local publications (not to mention The States played at my school once around 1982) and I was always intrigued with this arcane knowledge that I wish that I possessed or had been privy to if I had been old enough to get into Friar Tucks or the King's Head Inn at the time. But I just want to say great job, Mr. Miltier. Thank you for preserving this document of our city's past. Now with all of those old venues gone it really doesn't feel like that kind of scene exists around these parts anymore. Seeing the interiors to those old joints really kicked my nostalgia into overdrive last night. Not to mention the bevy of drunk old punks surrounding me in the balcony smelling like leather and sweat. Just like old times!

So I wound up sitting in the balcony between Pamela Jo and Charles, the bass player for original early Tidewater punk band Daily Planet (featured in the film), who bought me a bottled water (thank you again!) and I was surrounded by my old music scene posse, most of which I hadn't seen in ten years, some even almost twenty. There was an after-feature party at the cantina and Barco wanted me to go down there with him but I knew it would be wall-to-wall punks in there so we wound up all going down to the IHOP for foodstuffs -- we being Mike, David (who was also involved in the filmmaking process), Pamela Jo, and Barco before I headed back home around one in the morning. One more (albeit short) work day before Christmas. I think I can suck it up and endure.

Everyone have a great and safe holiday. Mama loves ya.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home