Thursday, January 21, 2010

Another Day Another (Baby Cut) Carrot

I am trying (TRYING) to get back on some kind of diet regiment again, this time easing myself in gradual vegetarianism, even though I know that I could do it cold turkey (so to speak) like I did last time. I talked to a girl that I work with who has been a vegetarian for 14 years, and when I told her about the stomach issues I had last year around this time she nodded and said, "That's because you quit meat too fast. You have to ease into vegetarianism." Something about the enzymes in the colon that break down meat need to level off gradually I guess, who knows. But either way, I gotta do something. My weight is off the chain and my health is the pits. I wish I could get some kind of strength in me. I'm so weak. So tired. Time for a change. It has to happen.

And so does this shepard's pie recipe, made with root veggies instead of meat. Looks intimidating, but then again all cooking does to me. But I really, really wanna try it!



INGREDIENTS
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into large dice
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and quartered
1/2 medium yellow onion, medium dice
2 medium carrots, medium dice
1/2 medium celery root, medium dice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups mushroom broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup frozen peas

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat the broiler to low and arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.

Place russet and sweet potatoes in a large pot of heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until just tender when pierced with a knife, about 5 minutes. Drain, then return potatoes to the pot. Mash coarsely; add yogurt, salt, and pepper; and stir until just combined. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring rarely, until browned, about 6 minutes. Add onion, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion just begins to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add carrots, celery root, tomato paste, and thyme and stir to coat vegetables. Add mushroom broth and soy sauce and stir until incorporated. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook until vegetables are just tender when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine water and flour in a small bowl and stir until smooth. When vegetables are ready, add flour mixture, stir to combine, bring to a boil, and cook until sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in frozen peas.

Transfer mixture to a 7-by-11-inch baking dish (or a 3-quart baking dish) and spread reserved mashed potato mixture over top. Place on the prepared baking sheet and broil until the top starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home