Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Whack For My Daddy-O

I had made a resolution this year to buy less music and spend more time enjoying what I already have. So far I've done pretty good for myself, and I could probably count every CD that I bought since January on the fingers of both hands right at this point. I was rather proud of that fact until today, when... well, when my Paypal account verified my funds transfer and I purchased Extra Fancy, the new CD by The Famous Pies, the new band by bassist/songwriter Vance DeGeneres.

Yeah, that guy again. Old blog readers may remember Mr. D from my many, many raving fangirl posts from basically the very beginning -- making the usual spectacle of myself in only the way that a 36-year-old woman who never lived out her teenybopper boy-crush years could descend. The 50-year-old older brother of comedian Ellen DeGeneres, as a little girl I enjoyed the contours of his rangy arms as "Mr. Hands" on The Mr. Bill Show from SNL, swooned silently to myself when he was a correspondent on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, stood in the front row faithfully for the reunion shows in New Orleans for his old 80's new wave band The Cold, and well, I guess you could say that I just quietly stalked him safely from afar. I have both original Cold albums as well as the two anniversary CDs, as well as an autographed vinyl of his other band The Backbeats (formed with future Cowboy Mouth members) and the rare CD from his late-80's pop duet House Of Schock with former Go-Go's drummer Gina Schock.

Anyway, most of you cats know all this trivia by now and I'm sorry to repeat it again but it's a new blog and newbies my not know who the heck I may be referring to unless I do the occasional refresh. But also I do wanna plug his website, which features his artwork like paintings and cartoons (he is sitting in front of one of his own painting in the photo above) as well as some of his solo music MP3's and video clips from TV pilots that never went to series.

His new band The Famous Pies also have their own website. Surf around and somebody go check them out for me at Rusty's (on the Santa Monica pier) August 27th so I can report about it here (take pics, you mugs!).

So anyway... yeah, another new CD. Gotta start counting them on my toes now I reckon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home