Sunday, January 29, 2006

Impulse Items

Still trying to wrap my sleepy lil' bean around the fact that I own a house this morning. Even more miraculous was the fact that they accepted our offer of $8,000 less than asking price. I gotta hand it to my partner in crime here who for over a decade had booked everyone from Vanilla Ice to Marilyn Manson knows a thing or two about playing hardball at the negotiation table. I suppose I can count the moment when the reality truly sank in was when Joe poked his finger repeatedly at my chest and announced, "You're stuck with me now for 30 years, bay-beee!" Mother of God.

Even with the $8,000 knocked off mortgage rates will still be about the same as what we're paying here, but I don't mind so long as it's not just getting pitched out the window anymore in rent. Building equity, baby. Yep, I'll be a hopelessly broke woman until I'm over 60.

And to mark the occasion I wound up spending some more of that money that I don't have freeing up some of the used product I've had languishing in my hold bin at work...


Crazy Blues: The Best of Mamie Smith -- I was taken with her voice immediately several years ago after first hearing "Crazy Blues", her 1920 single that incidentally also made her the very first black vocalist to record a vocal blues track. And then have it go on to be a hit, which prompted many other record companies to latch onto the concept of "race records" and snap up the Bessie Smiths and others out there during this time period. This is a collection of sides that Mamie put out for Okeh Records during the height of her career.


Return To Forever, Romantic Warrior -- 1976 jazz-fusion classic made up of Chick Corea's supergroup Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White. Never heard a note of this, if you can believe it. But Tracy at work has been pickin' at me to gank it as soon as possible, and I admit to having enjoyed several other similar-sounding pieces from the likes of Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orchestra. I also take pleasure in the occasional well-made prog-rock album, and Bitches Brew is the very first Miles Davis record I ever owned and loved. Okay now I don't know where I'm going with all this but anyway I got it now so whoop there it 'tis.


And of course I couldn't let the DVD to Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes get away from me this time, especially at $10.99 used, Bucko (and then marked down 20% with my discount, woot). Also something else that I have yet to officially experience, although I do own the soundtrack, which S. and I used to enjoy together, cracking each other up singing along to the title track in unison. She had this poster on her bedroom wall for years. Oh, and Mike came into the store last night and basically threatened to yell at me if I didn't but this for myself. Of course Mike is pretty much a diehard Zappaphile anyway, but I really don't like to be yelled at, and Mike has rather formidable lungs. It really didn't require too much arm-twisting on his part.

Things are finally beginning to blow up, people. To quote Arthur Lee Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip, yeah!!

Now I would just to point out that I just quoted Arthur Lee. Eghads, I'm a tool.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

til def do us part

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOO-yah, M and J! Best wishes.

It'll be 10 years in April that me and mine bought our house (we moved in a little over two months later.) 'Twas the strangest feeling being a home owner, especially since only three years earlier I had trouble just paying for my small studio aparment.

I know George W. Bush would take a story like yours as evidence that the system works and the Murkin dream is alive and well, but I trust you both won't dare let him.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like us, Greg. We can barely handle the rent in our place as it is, and now we're about to go pay the same amount somewhere else?! But I like to see it as not throwing it away anymore. Or at least, that's my glass-half-full story and I'm stickin' with it. Thanks for the wishes!

And yo, Vlad... the feeling's mutual, PAL!

XXX

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home