Sunday, January 22, 2006

Locals Only

Anyone remember my post back in August about legendary Hampton Roads 80's band Waxing Poetics? There will be a reunion March 11th at the Tap House Grill down on 21st & Colley Aveune in Norfolk.

I don't know what night of the week that is, but I plan to try and take it off from work and attend. I haven't seen them since their last reunion at Peabody's several, wow, years ago, and I haven't even had a chance to talk to David Middleton since I visited him the last time I was in NYC. And I can imagine that everybody from the old scene that hasn't had the smarts to bail outta this hickville will bound to be there as well. A real reunion, in a sense. Or at least for me, seeing as how far removed from the local scene I've become over the years. Who knew that would ever happen, considering how immersed I was in it at one point.

Hm. That sorta bums me out.

Anyway, thank you for the info, Sonny! I hope to meet you there, too. I'll be the tall, curly-haired brunette that's not drinking. Probably the only one, too. Unless half those other girls from back in the day are in rehab, of which I wouldn't doubt.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't get to see 'em in their prime but vastly enjoyed one of their other reunion shows at the Boathouse (RIP). I now consider them the local Who (what another farewell tour??).

Glad to see they seem to stick to Norfolk. VA Beach just doesn't seem to have a venue now that could be considered THE venue since the Peppermint went under. Know what I mean? No Boathouse but at least Norfolk can tout the Norva.

And how are you and Joe doing? Hey, do you guys have Axiom Funk? It blew me away and seemed right on Joe's radar in relation to Prince. I also recently picked up Citizen Cope, the DJ from..dah dah dah...Basehead, and it's really enjoyable. Let me know. I'd love to share.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey C! Joe and I are super-duper swell. Dude, I so miss seeing you in the store every week. Each time I see a tall skinny fella in a green ball cap I keep sneaking up on them and start running my mouth, just out of habit. Imagine some of the looks I get.

You know I have heard of Axiom Funk, and I want to think that I haven heard them or have had the CD in my possession at one point eons ago, but dang if I can recall what they may have sounded like. Maybe I'm thinking of Praxis. I definitely have a Praxis CD. Yeah, maybe that's it.

Yeah, trades would be real boss of ya. How's the Citizen Cope? We have like maybe 2 of his CDs at work but I haven't had a chance to scan them yet, which is weird considering how much I dig Basehead. And Cope was wicked badass live with Mike Ivey.

Norfolk has always had the more vibrant music scene in the area. Although most of the venues out there went the way of both the Peppermint and Atlantic Beach Clubs since ODU put up that monster convocation center on top of my old stompin' grounds. {{sniff}}

10:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yikes, I better get my ticket soon! I imagine it's going to sell out. Thanks for the info, Sonny!

The Poetics don't appear to have a webpage or blog online that I'm aware of. Everthing that I've ever googled for them online has just been old reports of past reunions and album reviews. I see even allmusic.com has a page on them as well.

Citizen Cope is the name of the DJ for Basehead, an acoustic hip-hop act from Washington DC fronted by brainchild Michael Ivey. If you can ever find their Plays With Toys CD I highly recommend it. I think it may be out of print, though. We have one copy left at my store, Planet Music in Virginia Beach, so if you are in town come in and check it out. Or if you'd like a burn I can work something out for you as well.

Feel free to email me at castellanosmelp@aol.com if you're interested.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually Dave Middleton from the Poetics is the guy that turned me onto Basehead way back when

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home