Sunday, April 02, 2006

Who's Chopped & Screwed My Nasty Groove?

Now that I finally have my stereo component CD burner hooked up to my stereo via jerry-rigged into the back of my mixing board into the television and tape deck, I can now burn all sorta weirdness onto CD-R like I pretty much always dreamed I'd do once I moved and got all my shit together again. And that's what the man and I did all afternoon -- going through our old mix cassettes from the 80's, specifically back when we were in college during our 1987-88 freshman year when we first met and started making mixes for one another. I might have some rather... er, creative little chunks 'o hilarity to post over the next few days, since a good deal of what we found or could afford on our starving student budget music-wise came from random flea markets up in the Blue Ridge Mountains, sold by people who probably had no idea what they had laid out on their tables but were only happy to have two rubes like us pack it all in the trunk of my neon green Opel and haul it back to the campus and see just what exactly our hard-earned money divvied out to us by our parents brought us that week. What they don't know, right kids?

And yes, as I pointed out, we were two bored 18-years-old stuck up in the Blue Ridge Mountains with a lot of cash that was no doubt originally meant for such trifles as school books and the occasional groceries. But honestly, who needs Psych 101 and Pop Tarts when you have the Janet Jackson "Nasty" remix single to futz with on the turntable for hours on end? Especially when there is an acapella version on the B-side which, when played at 33 rpms, kept us endlessly entertained in the way of a gut-bustin', knee-slappin', shootin'-Jolt-Cola-outcha-nosies good time. I won't give too much of it away beforehand, but lemme just say that the ladies chorus of "Nas-TEEEEE boys!" at the very end is probably... no, make that most definitely my favorite part of the song.

Please forgive the sound quality. It is a burn of a cassette, which in turn was taped off of a record, that I've had sitting in a box of dust since 1987.

"Nasty" (acapella "sludge" mix 45 rpm played at 33 rpm) - Janet Jackson
(M4a file -- up for 7 days)

This, people, is why I still keep vinyl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

So awesome.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home