Monday, August 14, 2006

Destination Out

I am in deep, deep need of escapism right now. I've ripped down every history book off my teetering shelf only to discover that I know each and every one of them practically by heart. It wasn't planned, and it definitely wasn't budgeted, but on my way into work this morning I ducked into the Barnes & Noble next door and charged a little escapism to my debit card.


The Arcades Project by Walter Benjamin (original German title: Das Passagen-Werk). I need a new history book. And philosophy book. And art book. That's what's so swell about Benjamin. He's your one-stop shop for all your historical/philosophical/artistical (artistical??) needs. And look LOOK!... it's got pictures, too.


Joy In The Morning by P.G. Wodehouse. Because I bought it a year ago and lost it before I even cracked the damn spine. And because I need a little funny in my life right now, and Plum provides, baby. Plum provides.

I partly feel as if I should explain myself these days, why I've been so stressed and, as a result, depressed, because I don't like giving the impression that I'm a mopey chick and a general downer to be around. I mean maybe I am, I don't know, but I do know that I'm not normally like this -- or at least without reason, but I hesitate to go into it at length here because it's primary work-related, and most people at least locally know where I work and I don't want to dive too deep into the internecine machinations involved within our parent company and ourselves and start unnecessary rumors about things that definitely not happening -- at least right now. Just that a lot of my year-long suspicions about what's going on in the company are slowly, day by day, being confirmed. That feeling of a multi-million dollar company spending lavish amounts buying up other popular retail chains and remodeling and and expanding, and our singular store is, well, let's just say is seeing less and less of this abundant generosity. And I do realize that the market is changing, that ye olde brick-n-mortar record stores all over the country are getting pummeled to the point of potential extinction (I don't think that's an unrealistic projection). But after my meeting today with my boss, realizing just how far our individual store is going to have to seriously retrench in order to meet our bottom line, I was driving home from work and letting my already frayed nerves become increasingly unraveled, and I entertained crazy, nutty thoughts of sabotage within the company. Is it thoroughly paranoid of me to think that this could all be some sort of plan from on high? Dare I say a sort of indirect scorched-earth policy to starve us out of there and close us up and write us off as redundant? Am I nuts? Quite possibly (another topic for another time). But we are the only store with our name in the country owned by this company, so there's not much in the way for them to invest in national advertising. We are, however, the largest retail CD/DVD store in the sister cities, as well as perhaps the rest of the state. We're still hurting, yes. That's a given. But we don't appear to be given as much boost as the national chains that our parent company owns. I know, I'm being vague and I'm sorry. I don't want to elaborate too much right now, since I am still in their employment and this is, of course, the internet. I will say that since I'm full time and manager-in-training I have slightly more job security than most. But for how long? Job security or not, I certainly don't feel very secure right now. Not with anything.

Anyway blah blah blah, I know. Sorry to keep bending your proverbial ears, guys. Thanks for being... out there... for me and all that. You folks is toppers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home