Friday, August 11, 2006

Nothing New To Retort

The Friday Five:

1) What was the bravest thing you have every done?
I really don't know what I would consider my bravest moment. I suppose I have done things that some might categorize as brave more out of self-preservation, like fighting off an armed rapist with my bare hands. But I tend to define bravery as being afraid to do something but doing it anyway, because you have a choice to either face your fears or let them control you, and the act of choice to face your fear is to me the true definition of bravery. Therefore the severity of the situation we face is relative. No, I have never raced into a burning building to save a person, but although I have never been faced with that situation I think about it and feel far less apprehension undertaking a task like that than, say, getting in a confrontation with someone over some random, idiotic thing, because as illogical as it sounds I have a far more complex fear of mere confrontation than of burning buildings. I think 3 1/2 years of working for Ticketmaster's customer service department has made burning buildings in my mind look positively warm, toasty and inviting by comparison.

2) Describe the meanest thing you have ever done.
I've definitely hurt my share of folks over the years, but I'd like to think that about, oh, 97% of everything that I've ever done to that result was truly and honestly not intentional. That is, I'd like to think that. I'm always too continuously plagued with guilt over my own damaging actions that doing them deliberately just to be mean would only end up hurting myself more than the intended victim. Inside, however, I'm as mean and nasty a normal human being as the next schlub. Therefore nothing I've ever done to anyone comes anywhere remotely close to what I've merely thought about doing to someone else.

3) Tell us about the nicest thing anything anyone has done for you.
I think I've answered this one before, but I have had just too many nice things done for me in my lifetime to narrow it down to just one specific instance that outweighs all others. My needs are small. I don't require gifts or grand dramatic gestures. Sometimes just receiving a phone call or email from a friend who just wants nothing more than to say hi to me speaks volumes more than anything else on a George Bailey scale of generosity. Nothing makes me feel happier than to know that somebody was just reaching out only because they were thinking about me.

4) What was the most insane thing you have ever witnessed or done?
Are we talking about things I've seen in movies? Or on the news? Or is this strictly events that have occurred in person? Truth is not a whole lot tends to shock me anymore -- either that or my definition of insane varies from those of others. I remember when my former roommate set his hair on fire and ran through the pit at a False Sacrament show and I just sat there at my table watching and thinking, "Well, there goes Lou with his hair on fire." Man all these questions are annoyingly vague this week. Or maybe I'm being the annoying one for not coming up with any specific answers for any of them. Ah well, maybe I'll have something more substantial for the last question...

5) Describe the most "out of character" thing you secretly want to do.
OH ho ho ho ho HO! On second thought, never mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home