Monday, November 27, 2006

But I Know It's Okay Okay



I wonder if I'll get any response from Steve Diggle from The Buzzcocks after I wrote him this note over at his Myspace page after he added me as a friend:


Mr. Diggle!

Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to you, but I wanted to drop you a quick line and say thanks for the add, and how really good it is to see you again.

No doubt like many of your fans, I'm another one of those whom you have left a lasting impression on over the years. I had been a Buzzcocks enthusiast since I was a teenager, and my boyfriend Joe and I finally got to see you fellas perform live at the (old) 9:30 Club in Washington DC back in early 1991. Later that year in October you guys played this venue called Outer Limits in Virginia Beach, VA. Joe and I both worked at that venue, but Joe was in the pit while I manned the T-shirt table and watched you from the back of the room. After the Joe, a few of my friends, and I spend some time with you and Pete backstage having a lot of laughs, playing "broccoli football", and my friend Christi and I teaching you our secret handshake. I think we even tries to convince you guys to come out pumpkin-snatching with us, since it was around Halloween time (Christi kept trying to convince you that it was "perfectly legal here in America".) You guys were wonderful, not just in performance, but how friendly and funny you were and my friends and I still talk about that night to this day. I still have my autographed vinyl (if you check my photo page you will see me holding up the record you signed), your two-page profile sheet from that concert, and your Steve Diggle T-shirt, which I wear happily and with pride.

Here's what surprised me even further. Maybe two years later, maybe late 1993, Joe and I saw you guys perform at the Floodzone in Richmond, VA. We were front row center as the band took the stage, and you, Mr. Diggle... after two years, looked down at us by the stage, smiled, and said "Well hello again!" before launching into your first song. We were speechless for the first minute or two, but then the music spun us into a frenzy and we were singing right along with the rest of the crowd. One of the best concerts I have ever seen to this day.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for more than just the add. Thank you for those amazing memories, and for just being the very man you are.

Much fangirl love,

Melissa



Too obsequious?

Enjoy a Buzzcocks track on da house.


Everybody's Happy Nowadays -- The Buzzcocks (m4a file)

File available for 7 days.

Purchase the Buzzcocks CD Singles Going Steady. One of my Top 10 favorite albums of all time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm willing to be you are going to hear back from him...cool!! It was a very nice note.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Well it's hard to tell. It's been over a week. But The Buzzcocks have been on tour in the UK, so he's probably too busy right now.

He and Pete Shelley. Two awesomely nice guys.

2:16 AM  
Blogger x said...

Man, how fast do venues in VB live and die? I don't even remember the Outer Limits. Great story (but all your stories are cool).

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home