Friday, November 17, 2006

Game Stop

Sony is only producing 400,000 PS3's for the day-of launch, which is today.

So it looks like our store isn't getting any PS3's. We had 13 pre-orders, and none of them came in. In fact, in our district, only one of our corporate parent chains received a total of one PS3. I don't know the status with gaming outlets like GameStop or Electronics Boutique, but from what I've been told all the local Wal-Marts received two each. The nearby Best Buy, however, received 26. I heard it was a virtual tent city in the parking lot yesterday as early as 2 in the afternoon with people camping out to get in line, even with the violent rainstorm we had all evening. Although I also heard that Best Buy management made them all leave.

I won't pretend that I know what's going on with Sony, but hell, this isn't the first time this has happened and I can't quite figure out what's going on with them. This console has been pushed back for ages, advertised for nearly two years, outsold already in Japan, had plenty of time to manufacture them here in the states, and they still can't meet the American demand? What gives, people? And this isn't the first year this has happened, either.

At least all the pre-orders customers have been called and informed, and will get their deposits back. But damn, that's gotta suck hard for them. Here they think they're guaranteed a PS3 for the holidays this year, and it's very likely nobody will even see one until sometime after January. And I just looked at what they're going for on eBay. Yeegads.

I suppose this looks good for Nintendo this Sunday. The Wii is only going for about $250 on average, as opposed to the $600 PS3 price tag (not including the bundle pack, which might set you back a grand all together).

So much for my idea of getting Joe a PS3 this year. Not like it was anywhere near my price range to begin with, but I was willing to set aside funds gradually. Still, he does appear pretty content with his PS2. And his Xbox. And his Nin64. It's safe to say that I really don't think we're suffering over here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home