Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sussudio Uber Alles

Phil Collen, the guitarist for Def Leppard, was in my store last night with his wife and two-year-old daughter looking for a recently remixed copy of Randy Crawford's version of "Cajun Moon". Very nice man. Adorable little girl. And yes, technically this means that I have been "Collins" once again today.

Okay, no. Technically it wasn't a real Collins-ing. But... well, okay. Maybe it's been since my last blog, so I should explain the situation again.

Several years ago, round about in the early 1990's, a friend of mine once pointed out to me that the average American cannot go one single 24 hour period without being exposed in some way to Phil Collins from Genesis. And ever since he's mentioned that he's been almost more or less correct. Of course back in the early 90's Phil Collins went through a streak of ubiquity: On the radio, movie soundtracks, billboards, beer commercials, SNL skits. He was pretty much on a world domination kick for awhile. Of course he's a little less prevalent these days as he once was. But still, I have a hard time not walking into an elevator, or sit in a dentist office, or even go to fucking Morocco and drive around the city at night with Khalid without hearing "Another Day In Paradise" on his tape deck, or even being in Paris and ordering a mixed drink at my hotel called a "Phil Collins" (hey it was either that or a "Belinda Carlisle"). And this also extends to the several degrees of separation concerning Phil Collins -- Genesis, Brand X, Brian Eno... and Joe insists it should also include non-Phil involved Genesis splinters like Mike + The Mechanics and Peter Gabriel. But no, I say leave my Peter Gabriel out of this. I want to listen to Peter Gabriel. There is a difference. Oh yes, there is a difference.

So anyway, since I mentioned this to several of my co-workers they have also noticed the trend. Then again we all do work in a music store were we pass by the Phil Collins section at least thirty times a day. But now they've taken to "Collinsing" me and each other on purpose, like directing me to customers who are looking for Nonpoint's version of "In The Air Tonight", or photocoping dozens of the No Jacket Required unironically satanic-looking album sleeve and and having them tumble out of each other's lockers when they least expect it. I keep telling them "No no no, that's instigated Phil, you guys! That doesn't count!" But I have to admit I've gotten into the fun myself, plastering their myspace comment pages with one sweaty, shirtless jpeg of Phil Collins at his drum kit after another. And Christmas Eve.... man, there was freakin' full-on Phil Collins war going on that night. I gotta say, it's gotten right ridonkulous.

The jury is out on whether or not Phil Collen was considered a proper "Collinsing" last night. Unless.

Unless... Phil Collen has his own plans for world domination and mind control.

Gadooks. Somebody go play "Pour Some Sugar On Me" backwards and tell me what the hell it's saying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home