Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Brutalist

I guess it's time I wrote something, huh? Believe me, it sucks that I barely have time to blog these days, let alone have something of substance to natter on about. The more I blog though the better I feel in general, and I need to feel a lot better, ah, in general. Whether this is counterproductive or not remains to be seen, but I have decided not to worry so much about work anymore. It's just not getting me anywhere, and it's pretty fruitless to begin with. I'm just going to revert back to my former mind space where I resolved to do the best that I can, and if that still isn't good enough, then hey, nobody could ever say I never tried, or did my best. So I'm hoping this new outlook changes things for the better overall in my life. Keep me from loafing around when I'm at home feeling overwhelmed, and most importantly get me back on track to taking care of my health again, and reverse the damage done to my body. And be more sociable again, despite my general lack 'o real-life friends... no jab intended at my dozens of internet friends, whom I love tremendously and keep me busy, which is a good thing. But you know, sometimes you really need that, that tactile friendship of someone you can hang out with and do things with and... boy, how I miss doing things. I went to a party this past weekend thrown by some of the kids I work with and it was remarkable how much I missed being in the company of people in this venue. I've never been a party girl, and all I had to drink that night was one Jell-O shooter and half a glass of sangria (homemade too, with all the real fruit, mmmm!) but it really was such a blast just rolling on the floor with Stefan and Miranda laughing hysterically and none of us remembering why (well Miranda and Stefan were drunk, but I had no excuse). Anyway, I think I need a lot more of that right now. The whole remembering that I'm alive thing that other people can really help you keep up with in that way. And a lot more rolling around on the floor laughing.

Anyway, I saw THIS over the last two weeks!



This is a Region 2 DVD collector's edition of Spaced, the 1999-2000 British TV series starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz) as well as comedy writer Jessica Stevenson as a small group of twentysomethings living together and trying to achieve their goals in life with as seemingly little effort as possible, with Stevenson as a writer and Pegg as a comic book illustrator. Countless upon countless pop culture references abound, and like in the spirit of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 the references are often so obscure that the DVD provides an option where subtitles will appear at the bottom of the screen Pop-Up Video style and point out the movie/television/music reference they are satirizing. Stevenson works briefly at a small Mexican restaurant where the kitchen and wait staff's relationship with their dragon-lady supervisor resembles scenes from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, complete with silent Native American sweeping in the background. And Pegg's character (much like his real life persona) is obsessed with Star Wars and loses his job working in a comic book store from belittling a child's love for Jar Jar Binks, only later to get a job at another comic book store and promptly quits by belittling his new boss's love for Babylon 5. Like Joel Hodgson once said of MST3K, not everyone will get it, but the right people will get it. This show is a lot like that. And oh hell. Funny. Just. Funny. Yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home