Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Hate My Mouse

Aaaaaand it appears I have bronchitis.

Or had, I suppose now. Barring mild strains and sore throatiness as well as choking levels of congestion I think the worst of it has blown over. Happily I was given my favorite... Tussinex. Prescription strength! Sadly and perhaps wisely not enough, but it keeps me from remembering the worst of it while it was happening. I still sound like Brenda Vacarro on helium but for the first time in nearly a week my throat isn't killing me. And oddly enough I never got a cold. I don't know how that works, but hey, knock on whatever the hell my computer desk is made from (*knock knock*).

Lucy did come to stay with us for a few days and we spent most of Tuesday wandering around the aquarium down by the beach and seeing the IMAX 3-D movie Dinosaurs Alive I think it was called (tired and sickly I fell asleep about halfway through). The main event, however, was Lucy getting to meet my parents for the first time in the 20 years that Joe and I have been together. I think all of us for years have been wondering what this unusual meeting might be like, with Lucy the freewheeling flower girl stridently politically to the left, active war protester -- and my parents the embodiment of middle-class suburbia, my father the conservative and my mother the more liberal, which listening to them argue and come to agreements down the center of the line has always left me fairly in the middle politically. But it actually seemed to all down down very well, doubtlessly the real binding factor among them is how much they both love their kids and just want to see them get what's best of them. And the fact that Joe and I are probably a couple of inveterate screw-ups. ;-) But anyway it was a nice visit and I hope I didn't give Lucy any of my lung cooties. Connie comes to stay this weekend, and I hope she doesn't get any for her birthday as well.

A few used Blue Note product I took home over the last week:


Avant-garde cornet player Don Cherry's Where Is Brooklyn? which features Henry Grimes on bass, Ed Blackwell on drums, and the fire-breathing Pharoah Sanders on the piccolo and tenor sax.


The classic Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' A Night In Tunisia featuring trumpet monster Lee Morgan, the great Wayne Shorter on tenor sax, Bobby Timmons on piano, and the rhythm section comprised of Jymie Merritt on bass and of course Blakey on drums.



Wild sax man Ornette Coleman Trio At The "Golden Circle" Stockholm Vol. 1 with David Izenzon on bass and Charles Moffett on drums.



And speaking of Lee Morgan, The Cooker was also gettin' got, with Pepper Adams accompanying him on baritone sax, Bobby Timmons returns on piano, and rhythm by Paul Chambers (bass) and Philly Joe Jones (drums).

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Wow, that's unbelievable how they've never met.

I don't really care if I get sick, maybe then I'll start going to bed earlier.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home