Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Only Way Is Up

So within about the span a half an hour Joe and Mike managed to improvise and write an X-rated version of "Winchester Cathedral" all while playing WWE wrestling on the Playstation last night. See? Even we can be funnier than that comedy troupe we saw Saturday night. Well, that is Joe and Mike can. I couldn't even manage a funny blog entry to save my wretched soul (that should be immediately evident to anyone who reads this hash.)

I had my one indulgence of the month and cleaned out half my hold bin at work. Some of the highlights include:


Big Train seasons 1 & 2, the British sketch comedy starring Simon Pegg & Co. sort of in the vein of Monty Python's Flying Circus. Funny stuff. Joe was quite tickled by the visual of Prince out on the plains chasing down a herd of jockeys like a lion taking down a wildebeest. We've been watching it one episode a day, or every other day, to try and stretch out the hilarity for as long as possible. We went through such a crushing period of grief after we finished watching Spaced in such a comparatively short amount of time.

Delighted to nab a used copy of the brand new Popeye The Sailor 1933-1938 box set, which features 60 of my beloved Max Fleischer era animated Popeye theatrical shorts, back when the protagonist was voiced by the phenomenally subtle and sublime Jack Mercer. Also contains the tremendous, Academy Award nominated Popeye The Sailor Meets Sinbad The Sailor, as well as several interesting looking documentaries as added bonuses.


And of course, one CD won't break my budget. Especially if it's used. A used copy of Can Anthology which at least features some of their work that I don't have (and all I really have is Monster Movie and Future Days). Gotta beef up my Krautrock collection. I've had the hankerin' for something a little, well, unstructured lately -- although Can is more trippy than unstructured. In fact they couldn't be more structured in their trippiness. I guess I just want something other than what I hear every day, which is what we play in our store every day. Which is shite.
God, I need a haircut.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Big Train' and 'Spaced' are hilarious. Some of the sketches/set pieces are so out there. The UK has a very rich supply of off the wall humour in the same way that the US delivers incredibly slick and layered comedy.
Please try and see the British comedy 'Peepshow'. The protagonists (David Mitchell and Robert Webb) are at the top of their game. They did that series for Channel 4, but did 'That Mitchell and Webb Look' for the BBC quite recently. I hope you get an opportunity to look these up on Youtube.
Wow Melly, sometimes I think you're actually English!

El Gee x

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home