Friday, August 24, 2007

Chicks 'N Chickens

I know I should be saving money, but I had a sudden uncontrollable urge to place a bid on this original Abner Dean book that I've been wanting forever. And considering that it's in less than pristine condition the price is pretty damn reasonable. About the same amount I paid for last year when I bought It's a Long Way to Heaven, and about the same condition, too. I don't care. It's Abner Dean. And what exactly am I going to spend my money on anyway? Bills? Food? This roof over my head? God, I still live like a vagabond 20 year old, don't I.

Speaking of which, I miss S. so much right now. I keep remembering that night years ago, when Joe and Geena and I saw Godfellas in the theater down by the beach and afterwards, since we were so nearby, we were in the mood to prank S. so we bought a frozen Cornish hen from the grocery store and placed it on her front step, knocked and hid. Back then we all had a running gag about chickens and we often placed chickens in strange places for each other to find. Anyway, we heard the door open, and S.'s mother giggle and pick up the chicken and close the door. The three of us started driving immediately back from the beach to Portsmouth, where Joe and Geena lived, all of us laughing and high-fiving each other. We stopped a minute at 7-Eleven for Slurpees, then I dropped the guys off at their place and headed back home to Great Bridge. When I got back in the house around 1am Joe rang and told me that after I dropped them off he went to bed and as he curled up under the covers and put his hands under his pillow to pull it closer to his face he felt something cold and hard under there, and he pulled out the frozen chicken we left on S.'s front porch. I called S. immediately and she was just laughing her ass off. As soon as we left her place she called Just Dave and they grabbed the chicken and then HAULED ASS down the interstate to Portsmouth, probably passing us the moment we stopped at 7-Eleven, and got to Joe's and Geena's and talked their other roommate into letting them in at that odd hour, and she ran up to Joe's room and tucked the chicken under his pillow. She couldn't believe she managed to pass us since we were headed straight home and had a good head start on them. They must have tore across two cities and beat us probably by minutes. The girl is flippin' phenomenal. Well played, my friend. Oh yes, well played indeed.

Ah, good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home