Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Glory Be Unto Dean

Chris Lanier's Abner Dean article from this month's High Hat made me seek out and purchase Abner's first book on eBay: It's A Long Way To Heaven, an original 1945 pressing.


The dust cover is a bit jacked up, as would be expected, but the book itself is supposedly in excellent condition. Hopefully, since it hasn't arrived yet. Just that I don't believe that any of his books are still in print any longer, so this is really the only way to get your hands on his work, it seems.


But my God. I am utterly enthralled with all that I've seen so far. Abner Dean drawings often depict naked humans, although they are never drawn to be objectified. Very few nipples, and no genitalia. Yet their humanity is stripped and laid bare in a manner that's far more shocking and unnerving than anything drawing attention to their nudity for purely prurient purposes.



There's almost something frightening about his pictures. Or edgy, perhaps is the word I'm searching for. Some of the drawings I've seen are just simple, funny sketches where the humor lies between the layers of nuance.



Others I spend long periods of time studying to pick up the meaning, only to discover that perhaps the meaning lies within myself -- that there is no right or wrong definition. Only what the observer takes away from it. Or perhaps how it might apply to the observer. And to me that's what makes some of the greatest art in the world, no matter how simple the lines are that we follow towards that path.



I'm especially eager to get Abner Dean's second book, What Am I Doing Here, published back in 1947 (also long out of print). He really honed his craft in this collection, and his detail to backgrounds are astonishing. Check out these incredible excerpts from the book!

Argh. Like I need more books already. I just packed my brand new 4x7 bookshelf with nary an ounce of daylight in between volumes. Don't tell me I already need to move again for more crap space. bitchbitchmoanetc.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great. Never heard of him before. And where have I been? I didn't know a new HH was out (off to read it). Hope these are cheering you up.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey dude! It's great to hear from you again. Still coming into town next week? Please stop by the store and see me if you're able.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home