Thursday, May 11, 2006

Water Drops On Burning Rocks

Today I spent the whole afternoon baking cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. Cookies to give to my new next door neighbor, who just lost her father last week. And cookies for a girl who works for Joe, whose mother passed away as well.

An old friend of Joe's, a young guy who used to work with him at Peabody's, died. Joe attended his wake the other day. I also just learned of my great uncle, my late grandmother's brother, succumed to cancer two days ago.

I miss my grandma. And Tom, too.

Death, man. I'm so over it.

I'm trying to find ways to subliminate all this resulting depression into something that doesn't involve me putting anymore food in my mouth, which is all I've been doing over the past few weeks. I bought two CDs that's I've been itching fer...



Lee "Scratch" Perry & The Upsetters' Dub-Triptych, a 2-CD set that compiles 1972's Cloak & Dagger proto-dub featuring Tommy McCook with bonus tracks including an instrumental of "Jungle Lion" and a version of the title track with horns, along with 1975's Revolution Dub on Disc 2. But the real reason for buying it is the inclusion of the legendary 1973 Blackboard Jungle Dub which has often been sited as possibly one of if not the first Dub releases ever, as well as had previously never been released in CD format, especially sounding this good since I've heard that even past vinyl and cassette pressings have sounded like varying degrees of shite for however many years. And what little I've heard so far has been quite utterly hair-raising.



And finally the long-awaited release of Gnarls Barkley St. Elsewhere which came out this Tueday although the single "Crazy" has been the UK's #1 most downloadable hit for over six months prior. The latest project from Danger Mouse (AKA Brian Burton, the mad hatter behind Gorillaz and the marvelous Jay-Z/Beatles mashup The Grey Album from the previous year) and former Goodie Mob-ster Cee-Loo comes across to my ears both as clean and eclectic as DJ Shadow's earth-shaking The Private Press and Sly & The Family Stone's planet-smashing There's A Riot Going On, where funk-n-soul meet rap-n-rock in a eruptive head-on collision the aural equivalent of the album cover's artwork. They even toss in a cover of the Violent Femmes' 80's college radio classic "Gone Daddy Gone", seemingly out of nowhere. What th' hey, right?

I stared at myself in the mirror for a good 20 minutes today, probably the most I've ever studied my appearance for as long as I can recall. My hair's grayer. My face, plumper. My eyes a little more hollow and sunken in than I last remembered.

I need to regain control over my life again, goddamit. The old me is coming back. Resurfacing. She's a scrapper, a fighter. And she don't cotton to the blues for too long. Nor does she tend to refer to herself in third person so she's gonna stop right here before she gets even more full of herself than she already is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home