Sunday, May 07, 2006

Ain't Goin' Out Like A Suckah...

Is it something in the hormone-laden milk they drink for lunch at school, the shock of fresh air they are forced to breathe when they play outdoors for their one hour a day, or the toxins they're inhaling through their Barbie Doll's hair that's making thou... er, several girls between the ages of 7 and 12 come tearing into my store over the past week with spittle in the corners of their rosebud lips, madly raving for a copy of "Doin' The Doo" by Betty Boo.

And it's not that they're mad for wanting it so desperately. Quite frankly, I love the song myself. It's just, uh, where exactly are they hearing this circa 1990 nugget from an album that's been long out of print? Has it been getting recent radio play? I mean I ask because I don't listen to radio and I haven't set hoof in a dance club proper in almost a decade, let alone when this bouncy track used to dictate the dancefloor during my bygone era. One father towing his little girl behind told me he needed the song for his daughter's dance troupe to rehearse a routine set to it. And again, out of print. Although I do believe her Best Of CD is available as import these days. Alas, our store can't special order imports. So many little girls sadly getting turned away. Daily, almost. But where where where the heck-a-doodle are they hearing this song? From an artist that I had always assumed was just one of many early-90's danceclub diva one-hit wonder types?

Apparently Boo, real name Alison Clarkson, has had a few hits beyond "Doin' The Do", as well as written several hits for other artists and has recorded under her real name was well. She originally started out as a member of late 80's Salt-N-Pepa clone dance group She Rockers before pumping out her debut solo album, Boomania, of which I still have my copy, and I still remember the walls of DJ's Records plastered with her cartoon character persona back when I worked there from 1989 through 1990. I suppose in this day and age her sassy hubris combined with her comic book heroine Diana Rigg on The Avengers vesture appeals to a certain contingent of the fledgling X chromosome. I suppose it beats having them idolize Hilary Duff, anyway.

Therefore I feel it is my civic duty to put a temporary file of "Doin' The Do" up on my blog for the week, a place to direct the yung'uns to download if they are still needing the track for the dance recitals and the slumber parties and the gangride drive-bys and ahoy-hoy. I'll also add the She Rockers single "Get Up On This" as a bonus, for it 'tis a damn fine snappy tune. Sometimes it's nice to see how some things never completely go out of style.

"Doin' The Do" - Betty Boo (m4a file)
"Get Up On This" - She Rockers (m4a file)

Files are available for 7 days only.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home