Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Grooving On An Inner Plane

Today was one of those work days where you just gotta question everything that you're doing, everything that you've put your heart and soul into, and wonder whether or not you're the tough one who knows how to suck it up and be the woman nobody else knows how to be.... or discover that you're the pussy that everyone else is not because they're the smart ones for not investing as much into something so ridiculous as you did yourself. As of today, for the first time, I think I'm leaning more towards the latter. You ever have one of those moments when you first discover that everything you know just might be wrong? I hate days like those.

I'm still kind of reeling from the events of the day. All I can still hear in my head is the murmur of shoppers, the beep of the cash register, and how the Suzy Boggus song "Two-Step 'Round The Christmas Tree" that we keep playing in our store always sounds like "Goose-Step 'Round The Christmas Tree" to my ears. I think the holiday blues are finally upon me, as of tonight. Sigh.

I miss riding around neighborhoods at night looking at Christmas lights like S. and I used to do every year for the last, oh, fifteen years or so. I wonder if she still rides around looking at lights. I miss Coleman's Nursery with her, and the animatronic bears and elves and getting hot apple cider and buying bags of espresso coffee bean candies and driving home hopped up on mouthfuls of beany goodness and enough caffeine power to light up Plume Street, if we hadn't have already unscrewed all the Christmas lights off the top of the parking garage that they leave up there all year 'round. I miss... dude, I can't even go into all that I miss.



I do, however, miss the old Fishbone. Everything up to Truth And Soul, because I lost interest in their new sound after that. But this song, and this video to "Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time)" really does bring back the old school memories of my freshman year of college when I first got into the band, and how I grew so obsessed with them I almost at one point considered getting a tattoo of their fish logo on my ankle, and if anyone knows anything about me I am wildly allergic to the very idea of getting a tattoo of any kind, no matter what the subject or situation. I've seen these guys countless times live, once when I was crushed so hard against the stage I nearly passed out, and then later that night I did pass out on hood of just dave's car at the Open House Diner later after the show. Anyway, I love these guys. I really, really love these guys. Not my favorite song from them. But a favorite holiday memory just the same. And I certainly need more of those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home