Saturday, January 05, 2008

Sad Transmission

28 Weeks Later
Aqua Teen Movie
The Astronaut Farmer
Control
Crazy Love
Disturbia
Grindhouse
The Host
Hot Fuzz
Knocked Up
Reno 911: Miami
Rescue Dawn
Sicko
The Simpsons Movie
Spiderman 3
Superbad
Talk To Me
Year Of The Dog

This is it? These are all of the movies released in 2007 that I've seen this past year? That is, I think that's all I've seen -- I could have sworn there have been more. And what out of all this have I actually liked? Well, actually there is a few. Talk To Me, Spiderman 3, 28 Weeks Later, and Disturbia were all a bit lackluster to me, and I tried to watch some of The Bourne Ultimatum last night but as much as I rather enjoyed the first of the series I was considerably more put off by the over-dramatic, hyper-kinetic style that passes for "action" and "tension" in film this day and age. That's why I am over-dramatically, hyper-kinetically excited about finding this yesterday at a little out-of-the-way video store...

Charles Burnett's 1977 debut film Killer Of Sheep, the story of an African-American man named Stan living in Watts and working in a slaughterhouse during the day, plagued by financial troubles, but blessed with a creative mind and a dreamer's soul, and finds outlets for each in the happiest details of his otherwise bleak existence. Activities like playing with his daughter, or remarking how the comforting warmth of a teacup against his cheek reminds him of his wife's forehead when they make love. This movie, like much of Burnett's work, has been out of print for ages until just a few months ago, and it was looking pretty bleak for myself trying to track it down locally. Not even my own store has it listed in its system. Locals, lissenup! Movie Stop, the little shop in Greenbrier in that shopping center across the street from the mall, next door tot he Game Stop. They carry Killer Of Sheep. And a bevy of other fine titles. Heck, they even have a Criterion section! What thuh diddly-hey, yo? I'll see's ya there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home