Monday, March 31, 2008

This Town's Not Big Enough

The fun never ends where I work.

These two adorable children come into my store almost every night, accompanied by Anna and Michael, while Anna, in a typical drugged-out haze, attempts to sell me back dozens of obviously stolen Nintendo DS and Wii games for cash. Of course none of us can prove that these items are stolen, but it can only be obvious when a couple who had just informed me that their trailer had burned down can continue to keep "buying" expensive games day after day, and not only that, but the exact same games each and every day. Everyone in our store knows her. And her husband/boyfriend/whatever. And those two little kids. But it was when one of our associates called us at work to tell us that she saw Anna's face on the local news wanted in a child abduction situation (as well as priors in drug charges), all of us were waiting for that moment when she'd actually dare walk back into the store that day to try and pawn off her usual haul of brand spankin' new games, regardless of having her drawn, sallow meth-face plastered all over local television last night. I was convinced that she wouldn't be in, that she and Michael would be long gone out of town with the children by then. But like Tracy at work said, never underestimate how desperate a person on drugs can be. Anna did show up, but she sent another man inside to do the buyback. I didn't recognize the guy, but someone inside the store saw Anna sitting outside in the car so another associate did the buyback, stalling as much as possible while Nate phoned the police. The guy left and he and Anna tore out of the parking lot, with the cops whizzing past on hot pursuit. According to the follow-up article, the stolen car engine they were driving exploded on the interstate and they were apprehended. The children have been returned to their legal guardian, their grandmother.

Last night I nearly hit a teenage boy in the face. It was the second time in two months that this roving gang of 15-year-olds came into our stores minutes before closing time and proceeded to mindlessly vandalize everything they laid their hands on. When one of them picked up a heavy fire extinguisher and began swinging it around I barked at them to leave the store immediately. I herded them towards the door, and they continued to vandalize every object they passed, and I knew calling the police would be futile since they wouldn't be able to get here in time, so I screamed -- and I mean screamed -- like a berserker for them to keep going, leave, NOW. And when one giggling, simpering brat tried to stand toe-to-toe with me, daring me to hit him... I swear I almost lost my control over the situation and gave him what he asked for. Instead I grabbed him, spin him around and shoved him out the door. He laughed nervously, made some comment about my large breasts suffocating him, and pedaled off on his bikes with the rest of his pussy posse.

Great. Watch me set a summons to court from his mother because I laid a hand on her little pumpkin. That's how it works these days.

I'm taking a week off in May. I think I need a break.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>Great. Watch me set a summons to court from his mother because I laid a hand on her little pumpkin. That's how it works these days.<<

Back when my half sister was a bus driver one of the reasons why she quit was because she snapped at one kid -- and apparently made a borderline racist comment to him, I think. She became so paranoid that his mom was going to go to the school and bitch she ended up quitting at the end of the school year. She was afraid she was going to snap at another kid.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home