Friday, April 25, 2008

Hel-looo... Falling Apart Over Here

Damn, I took a hard fall tonight. All I can guess is that I must have twisted my ankle trying to step off the brick step that leads into my front door, and before I knew it my head smacked the concrete. But other than that twisted ankle, two scraped knees and a right hand, a very sore right shoulder, and a slightly scraped face, I guess I'm none the worse for wear. I was extremely disorientated and dizzy for about 20 minutes after, and both Joe and Mike were worried about me having a concussion and that I should probably go the hospital. But I shaped up after a few and other than a thousand little ouchies all over I think my head's still screwed on relatively straight. These things happen. They just haven't happened to me in a very, very long while. I literally don't think I've taken a hit to the street that hard since the late 70's/early 80's when Jeanne Gainer and I used to build ramps in her driveway and wipe out on them in our dirt bikes and skateboards. I'm so old now! Land 'o Goshen, dat hoit dis ole biddy!

What I didn't mention to anyone was that for more than a split second, I had the most frightening flashback to my mother's bad spill off the back porch last January, the one that shattered her wrist and has left her with diminished mobility in that right hand. The same hand that went up to protect my head, the same way hers did instinctively. I think that scared me more than the thought of maybe breaking my foot or even a concussion. You never think about those kinds of things, I guess until they happen.

To top it all off, I have a zit... on my finger! What the diddly-hey-hey?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home